House Breaking and Crate?

Thread: House Breaking and Crate?

DefaultHouse Breaking and Crate?

Hi

My puppy Jazz is 7 weeks the question i have is should i be putting her in a crate or is she ok to sleep in her dog bed???

Also with house breaking i kept putting her on the nappy pads i have got but she is not even going to the toilet in the same room as them i no i have not had her long i am not complaining i understand she is a puppy and mistakes will always happen but how can i make it easier for her to learn??

ANY ADVICE PLEASE POST THANKS SAM X

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: House Breaking and Crate?

I would crate the puppy at night. Dogs prefer to not eliminate where they sleep. If you start out with the dog bed, the puppy could just get up and crap in another part of the room, and go back to sleep. If he's in the crate and need to to outside, they'll let you know. Odie wimpers. And it's a distinct wimper that he never uses any other time.

If you want to speed up the house training process watch the clock and take the puppy outside every half hour. Then treat and praise once he does his business every time. A lot of new dog owners expect a puppy to go hours at a time between trips outside.

The simple truth is this. If left alone in a crate, the puppy might be able to hold it for a few hours, but if he's free in your house he's not gonna wait 3 hours. He's gonna go whenever he feels like it. Sometimes every 10 minutes.

The key to housebreaking is redundency. Doing his business in the same place over and over and over and over again. The more often you take the puppy outside the faster success will come.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Sam

Sleep Jazz in her crate - don't leave her unattended! Also, give Jazz her meals in her crate too. That way she is more likely to "hold it" because most doggies won't poo and wee where they eat and sleep, they really are clean canine's!!! (Even if they're filthy most of the time from digging something up)

Cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh I feel as though I shouldn't even answer this one...we are so bad. OK we crate Denali during the day when we are at work ( I come home at noon for an hour and let him out) but after the first night of trying the crate in our room and having him cry we decided to try having him sleep on his doggie bed thats beside outs, well that worked great till a few days ago. Now he will go and sleep on it when we go to bed but around the 2nd potty break (330am) he will sit beside the bed and whine to come up....here is were we are bad. WE LET HIM IN BED... . But he goes rate to sleep and doesn't wake up till either my self or my wife gets up which is great. And to be honest we really like it, Now I know that later on when he is full grown he will take up more space but we don't mind and he is our only child and we are OK with it and as we both agreed as long as he doesn't want to start the night in our bed we are OK with it. But back to your question Id say sure if you can get Jazz to sleep in his bed in your room and as long as he doesn't potty in there then why not.

I have had her for 1 week now and she sleeps in the landing in her own bed and does her business on her puppy pad she only crys when sh wakes up in the moring witch is like 6 -6.30 so far its all good no waking up in the middle of the night she is just so clever and is learning so quickly i just love her so much x x :-*