What should I buy for a new pup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I buy for a new pup?

DefaultWhat should I buy for a new pup?

Hi everyone,

My name is Charles and I'm a soon-to-be new owner of a golden lab! I will be picking him up next month and I want to make sure I'm prepared with all the necessary materials. So far, I have on my list...

• food
    • food bowl
    • water bowl
    • crate
    • leash
    • collar & nametag
    • cleaning solution (Nature's Miracle)
    • doggy bed
    • baby gate

Updated - new items added (thanks sarahnye, Scoper50, & meg)
    • chew toys
    • grooming brush
    • shampoo & conditioner
    • pooper scooper
    • puppy wipes
    • doggy treats

Are there any other essentials that I should add? Let me know!

Charles

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What should I buy for a new pup?

Hi Charles

welcome to the forum and best of luck and congratuluations on the purchase of your yellow lab!

Your new puppy (IMO) will also need a chew toy like a Nylabone as well! What food do you have for your puppy?

Don't forget also to get a good brush for your puppy, cotton wool to clean out his ears weekly and an ear cleaning solution. Also, puppy shampoo and conditioner when you do wash him. Nail clippers can come in handy too! It's worth getting the puppy used to grooming from day one so they aren't a nightmare when they're bigger.

A Kong toy never goes astray either, you can get nice fluffy ones for puppies which are great to chew on! this is the one I got Milly when we got her!

cheers
    Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Toys are a must. Unless you prefer that the puppy chews on your things. Puppys chew on stuff constantly. It's important that you let him know what he is allowed to chew on, and whats off limits right away. I would also like to emphisize the importance of the puppy shampoo. If your pup is anything like my pup, he'll have a few poopy accidents in the crate. And by the time you discover the mess he will have most likely rolled around in it.

Gets lots and lots of paper towels. While your housebreaking the dog you will have messes to clean up.

You'll need a pooper scooper

Lots and lots of small dog treats for training purposes. Reward your dog when his behavior pleases you.

You'll also want a case of cold filtered Miller Genuine Draft and a carton of Camel Straights because with all the stress and frusteration your about to endure your gonna need it.

Just kidding about that last one. Good luck. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sarah and Scoper,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look for a quality brush, shampoo & conditioner, and some good chew toys. BTW, I've added all of your suggestions to the list in the first post. Thanks!

*oh, and I'll try and look for a Kong toy while I'm at it

Charles

sarah is offline Senior Member

We also bought Milly a big stuffed dog for her to sleep with when we brought her home, as well as a radio to keep her company when we were out and a clock to put in her crate - apparently the clock helps simulate a heartbeat (like the puppies mother) and helps settle them when it's night time. The clock worked great for us with Milly.... (just remember to wrap the clock in some cloth)

and the other HUGE essential that you can't forget about is pictures for all of us to look at!! We never get tired of seeing new puppies

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Hi Sarah,

Yeah, I'll definitely need some comfort toys for Rush (that's what I'm gonna call him ). I was thinking about getting a doggy bed right away for him, but I didn't think it'd be that important until he's house trained. But now that I think about it, I should probably add that to the list and get it now. Might be nice for him to get used to when he's napping.

And yes, I'll definitely put some pictures up as soon as I can. He's only 3 weeks now so I can't take him home yet, but I'll be visiting the breeder again hopefully this week and I'll try and snap some shots

Charles

Meg
    Meg is offline Senior Member

I'm getting my Pup today and I was unsure of what to get for him as well. I ended up purchasing/acquiring the following:

Crate (was given to us)
    Pad for crate
    Leash (A long retractable one & one for training)
    Collar
    Name Tag
    Food & water bowls
    Food (What the breeder is feeding and what we are going to feed)
    Treats
    Shampoo
    Brush
    Puppy Wipes
    Nature's Miracle
    Tennis Balls
    Puppy Kong
    Orka chew toy
    & Misc. other soft toys

Thanks Meg,

I just remembered too, that I could use a baby gate to fence off parts of my apartment in the beginning. This list is slowly growing But, it looks like I might have all my bases covered now. Another 2 weeks before I pick him up!

*I just saw pictures of your pup. He's adorable! I'm hoping things go as well for us as they did for you

Charles

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your new puppy.

However I did notice that you said your pup was only 3 weeks old on the 25th of this month and then mentioned that you would be bringing him home in 2 weeks. :no: This is waayyyyy too young to be away from his dam and littermates. Puppies should stay with the mom and litter until they are 8 weeks old. There are many things that he will learn and benefit during that additional 3 weeks.

And to be quite honest, I would not purchase a puppy from anyone who would allow them to leave at that young of an age. Knowledgeable breeders do not place puppies at this age.

Meg
    Meg is offline Senior Member

Thank you Charles!! He is laying next to me on the couch right now chewing his nylabone. Last night was the first night he didn't cry when we put him in the crate! Ought of all the toys I bought him, his favorite one is my sock! Go figure! If you any more questions feel free to ask!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast