First time poster and also a first time lab owner I was hoping I could get some people who have had puppies to answer a few of my questions\concerns.
1. My yellow lab is currently 7 weeks old and since I got him last weekend he is doing some amount of sleeping as in he sleeps 4 or 5 times a day 2 hours at a time, is this normal? He plays or eats for about 40 mins and then toddles of to his bed again.
2. At just over 7 weeks is he too young to sleep outside? I have a drying room in the house with a little bed which has a child gate on it but he keeps going into the kennel I have in my back garden during the day. At night he cries when in the drying room at night but after a while he will stop and go back asleep. All the toys are now moved to the kennel and he seems very happy with it I even have a hot water bottle with him.
3. I am heading back to work next week so I will be away from the pup for about 6 hours a day. Is this too long to be away from him? I will be up early with him for a play and then home as soon as I can for more play.
I would really appreciate some experienced puppy owners to answer these questions as I am a bit concerened about his sleeping habits even though I know he is still only a baby!!?
1. He is still a pup so he is not going to play for hours just yet.
2. Crying at night is normal for he still misses his brothers and sisters...should really try to have him sleep in a room with you or another family member in a crate.
3. Yes! 6 hours for a little fella in a crate is a really long time. We only let Denali stay in his crate the first few weeks no longer then 3hrs and we still came home with a few #1 accidents in the crate but we never told him he was bad for it, I mean its not his fault he had to go and couldn't hold it anymore.
I would suggest that maybe a friend or a neighbor you know might be able to let him out if you cant get home in time or if the area that he is in is large enough make sure you lay down some newspaper for him to potty on, but do not except him not to potty in that area after six hours in there. Best of luck and Id recommend reading a few books I have found them to be very helpful and also read some more on this forum.
Rule of thumb -- One hr of crate time per month of dog's age is about all the bladder can hold.
8 wk pup = 2 months = 2hrs between potty-breaks. Except at night if he sleeps thru. Then you let sleeping dogs lie.
So it sounds like it's time for you to hire a puppy-sitter who can come in 3x/day.
Hi again thanks for the replies,
Sorry I dont dont think I was completely clear in my questions.
1. Is it normal for him to sleep as much as he is I have searched most Lab sites and I cant seem to get an answer to this? He is not restricted to any area and can roam when he wakes up.
2. The question about the kennel, is it safe at his tender age to sleep outdoors he seems to be happy with it?
3. He will have an area large enough to roam while I am working which will be well covered. I have arranged to come home half way through the day so I can clean up and bring him out.
Any books to be recommended?
The most important book I can think of to recommend is Giffin & Carlson's, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary HandbooK" It'll answer many questions on health, feeding, growth, etc.
For training, I recommend Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash". While she's a bit in-your-face to my taste, the book is mainstream in terms of scientific principles in the psychology of learning. Some worthwhile topics are not covered (e.g., generalization, positive and negative transfer) but so many are covered to make it's $12 price (+ S&H) a very worthwhile investment
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
No, it is not safe for him to sleep outdoors, at any age. Waaaaayyyy to many "what ifs" in that situation.
Yes, it is normal for him to sleep a lot, just like babies, all that growing and developing is hard work! They needs lots of resting time. (Note: enjoy it while it lasts!!)
Baloo - 5 year old black lab
Peanut - 7 year old minpin
Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
I really would not allow a dog to sleep outside at any age. At 7 weeks, thats absolutely insane.Originally Posted by delboy1