New Pup *Update*
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pup *Update*

Meg
    Meg is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew Pup *Update*

Hi,

I am a new member and also a soon-to-be new lab owner. This is my first dog of my own and I am very excited! Are there any items I might not think of that I need to get before I bring him home next week? He will be 8 weeks old when I get him on Saturday. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New Pup

I am also a fairly new dog owner. I got Odie at the end of Feb. Although a lot of people don't like to bath their labs because they think it destroys natural oils in their coat, your going to want to get some puppy shampoo because chances are you'll come home to find a crap filled crate, and the dog will look like he's rolled around in it. Odie did this in his crate almost every day for the first 2 weeks. So shampoo is a must.

A new puppy is going to want to chew on everything. So it's important to give them something that they are allowed to chew on to discourage chewing on your things. I would recommend nylabones, and small edible chew sticks. Make sure that if you give them edible chew sticks or bones, that they are not too large or hard. Puppy's have tiny teeth that fall out easily. Also get a few chewable toys. Personally I don't like toys with squeakers because they annoy the hell out of me, but thats your preference.

I would also recommend getting a lot of small treats. Something the size of a marble. Small treats like this are very good for training, because when the dog is rewarded for whatever you want him to do, you don't have to wait long for the dog to eat the treat before the training session continues. I would recommend getting a variety of treats. A dogs attention span during a training session will be much longer if he's getting something different as a reward rather than the same old boring treat over and over and over.

I have one more suggestion. Get a crate with an adjustable divider in it. If you didn't already know, you only want to give the puppy enough room in the crate to lay down and turn around. If they have too much room they will tend to use the extra space for a bathroom. Petco has a really nice crate with a divider in it, that you can adjust as the dog grows bigger. When I first got Odie, he was only using about 1/3 of the space in the crate. Now he's using about half of it. I love this crate because it grows with him, and I don't need to buy new crates as he grows into an adult.

Meg

Thank you so much! Someone has given us a a smaller crate that we can use while he is a puppy. My only concern is that when outgrows it and we get a larger one, he might not think of it as his "den" anymore. Does anyone have any experience with that? We have lots of toys already so he has quite the selection but no edible chew toys. I will definitely have to look into that! Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I switched Baloo's crate when he outgrew the smaller one and haven't had a problem.

When you get a new puppy pictures are a must. Board rules. 8)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

At first I only had one crate with odie. I would lug it into the kitchen for use during the day when I was at work, and would move it into the bedroom when it was time for bed. After about a month of that I got really sick and tired of moving it back and forth. So I bought another crate for the bedroom. It's a little smaller, but the same style. I didn't have any problems introducing him to it. As far as he knows, it's the same thing. He went right in it and layed down from the first day with the new crate.

Meg

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to know that he won't be traumatized later on down the road!

Agreed. Switching the crate won't be a big deal. We have an at-home and a travel crate, and Potter is happy in both. People have varying opinions about leaving blankets in crates for puppies (because lost of labs will just chew it up), but Potter has a blanket that stays in his crate. So when we first used the travel crate, we put it in there and he knew it was his.

Also, to add to your list of things to buy, you should get some Nature's Miracle (or like substance). There are probably going to be a "few" in-house accidents, and you need something like Nature's Miracle which will remove the lingering scent so the puppy won't think it's okay to go there again.

And like Baloo317 said, pictures are a requirement

Meg

Thank you! That is actually the last thing I have to purchase. I keep forgetting when I go to the pet store. The breeder is feeding him Purina Puppy Chow right now, but we are going to switch to something better. How long should I feed him the Purina? We are going to try Costco's Kirkland signature puppy first and see how that works for him.

CONGRADS! Oh it was only a month an a half ago when we brought Denali home. Your going to really have a lot of fun we just love our little guy! Here is what we found we forgot or did not get...enough items for him to chew on...it seemed like every other day we were at the pet store buying more chew toys. Have you looked into training yet. The younger the better is what I have been told. Oh and one other thing we didn't find out till after...its team work for both you and your spouse (if you have one it makes training, and potty breaks a lot easier). Well welcome to the lab world and be ready to have a ton of fun!!

sla

Congrats on the new pup! One thing you asked that I didn't see answered yet was about how long to keep him on the Puppy Chow. I'd give the pup a few days to adjust to your house, while feeding the Puppy Chow, then over a period of a week or so GRADUALLY start mixing in the new puppy food you're going to feed. First start with mostly Puppy Chow, and a little bit of the new, then gradually reduce the amount Puppy Chow, and increase the amount of the new until you finally have 'weaned' the pup off the old stuff. Changing the diet too quickly can upset their system and give them diarhea. Do it gradually, and you should have no problems. Have fun with your little one.!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast