Cats!!!

Thread: Cats!!!

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultCats!!!

Molly is doing really well with us.

Shes gotten used to her crate, no more yelping and screaming. She goes into it on her own when I get busy, and when she gets put away she is quiet.

Another milestone was she no longer needs to be leashed when guests come in. My friends came over the other day and she listened to me, calmed down very quick and sat the whole time, and was rewarded with a little attention because she behaved well.

No more jumping when I walk in the door, she greets me by sitting like a little princess while her tail wags.

I noticed her and Dale have exchanged roles in the home. Now he is always into trouble and Molly is the little angel, but anyway.....

This is one issue I never had with Dale....

My cats.

When they come out, or jump down from something, Molly can be sound asleep and takes off running after them. I have an older cat who is 13, she is slow and Molly always catches her. I go after them and by the time I get there Molly is sitting on top of her and ill pick Missy up and shes soaked with slobber.

She treats my cats like they are big stuffed animals. I know she doesnt want to hurt them but she goes for Missys neck like shes a toy. The more pissed the cat gets, the more Molly think they are playing.

She is so excited by them, I totally lose all control over her with commands. Its like her head goes from me to cat, from me to cat, from me to cat. She doesnt know who to focus on.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cats!!!

You are right for trying to nip this in the bud. Cats can inflict very nasty damage. The possibility of a dog getting a swipe in the eye from an angry cat is huge, especially if the dog corners the cat.

I would have Molly on a long line in the house at first. If you can't control her verbally when she is in chase mode, you need a line to stop her physically with. I am afraid it is just the case of verbally reprimanding her and stopping her physically, ideally BEFORE she gets into full chase mode. If you catch her before she goes into chase mode, your commands are more likely to register. In chase mode she will be pumped with adrenaline and far less likely to respond to your commands.

After correcting, ALWAYS redirect. If you don't redirect her focus elsewhere, her mind will still be on the chase. Make her go and settle on her bed or in her crate, then praise for calm behaviour.

You will have to repeat this frequently at first.

JustineNYC Guest

Im actually afraid shes the one wholl inflict serious harm. My cats were left to me by my grandfather, and their all declawed.

The way I saw Molly grab at her neck, if she does that and shakes her head shell break the cats neck. When Ive been pulling her off Missy, Ive been saying "Nooooooooooo. You do easy" And shes just like whatever! wooohoooo! She is so excited by them.

My neighbor was like, you have to get rid of the dog......But I know its pure play, not viciousness, and Im home to supervise everything, and when I go out Molly goes into her crate.

Should I try desensitizing her to them....maybe having her on a lead and the cat on my lap for a few minutes a day. Maybe theyll become boring to her?

Maybe reward her when she can be face to face and not nibble or invade their space?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Should I try desensitizing her to them....maybe having her on a lead and the cat on my lap for a few minutes a day. Maybe theyll become boring to her?

Maybe reward her when she can be face to face and not nibble or invade their space?
    Sure. Desensitizing will help. But make you also correct and redirect, too. If you don't, Molly won't make the association that chasing the cat doesn't bring a positive consequence. The thrill of the chase is her 'reward', so by correcting her verbally and restraining her BEFORE she chases, she isn't being rewarded.

I would not try and force any interactions between them. If the cat tries to approach the dog, that is different. Otherwise, don't force them to get close to each other. The cat will be feel very intimated with a huge Lab hanging over her and will be more likely to run.

sla

I figured the cat was declawed, and the pup hadn't gotten 'reprimanded' by the cat, so to speak. I agree with everyone. I'd just have control of any situation where they're in the same area, so you can correct the dog. Stay consistent. One difference I might have is NOT putting the dog in the crate. I'd keep them out, redirect just giving the pup something else (like an ACTUAL toy or bone) to play with. They have to learn to live in the same space, and I try to avoid any possibility of association of the crate with punishment of any kind. It won't take long if you supervise and are consistent in your corrections. They'll learn to respect each others' space eventually.

JustineNYC Guest

The last few days she has been better while shes been konked out. Right now she is asleep and my cats are all around her, staring at her. She knows their there, but she isnt getting up.

The poor things arent afraid of dogs, they LOVE Dale and have lived with him for 5 years, so they cant figure out why Molly chases them LOL

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I never let my dogs unsupervised with my cat, and their interactions are always on the cat´s terms. I he wants to say hi to the dogs he´s the one to approach them and rub against them. Both my dogs react calmly to him because I introduced them very slowly and always leashed.

The only time I got distracted and they got together, the cat scratched Misha and she left him alone. She has never tried to play with the cat ever since, but they are actually good friends, he rubs against her and she licks his head.

If the cat is very old I honestly would keep them separate, the cat can be harmed if the dog becomes too intense playing, and from what you mention she seems to get very excited hunting the cat, her prey drive could kick in and could seriously harm the kitt.

Old animals deserve respect and if young ones don´t learn to respect them, they should be kept separate, this holds not only for dog-cat but also dog-dog relations