Housetraining Relapse

Thread: Housetraining Relapse

DefaultHousetraining Relapse

This is really strange. Odie is 21 weeks old now, and he's been house trained since week 14. Since week 14 he's had one accident in week 17 where he pissed on the wood floor in the living room. Then he's been fine until tonight when he came into the computer room and squatted down and pissed on the carpet right in front of me.

I don't understand this. Any other time he goes straight to the door and asks to be let out. Is it possible he just has a sudden lapse of memory? I know what some of you are thinking...but I don't think we're dealing with UTI because it's not a re occuring thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Housetraining Relapse

Im thinking he probably went to the door, you didnt see him and he peed next to you. Just keep at it id say he is doing well and he will have accidents

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo had a few "relapses" as well, I think it's pretty common. Just stay vigilant with it to remind him and it'll pass. I've heard that until they're around 6 months they have a really hard time truly grasping the concept of housetraining, so it's up to you to stay vigilant until then. I've also heard that you can't consider a dog fully housetrained until they go 4-5 weeks without an accident in the house.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Also, after any accident, after you normally clean it, use either "Nature's Miracle" or OTC hydrogen peroxide from any pharmacy/pharmacy section to "de-scent" the cleaned spot. Otherwise, it calls to them -- "here's a great spot to pee or poop."
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Also, after any accident, after you normally clean it, use either "Nature's Miracle" or OTC hydrogen peroxide from any pharmacy/pharmacy section to "de-scent" the cleaned spot. Otherwise, it calls to them -- "here's a great spot to pee or poop."
    I've been using Natures Miracle since day one, and it seems to work. The few accidents he has had in the house have all been in different spots.

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Harlee was pretty much trained within a few weeks, she did not have very many accidents in the house. Around 20 weeks or so (you can look it up in a previous post) she peed on the floor after weeks without an accident. It never happened again!
    :embarrass: