Need More Advice

Thread: Need More Advice

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed More Advice

Well Parker is doing really well with most of his training, EXCEPT for the jumping/counter cruising still. He is doing somewhat better with the "greeting" jumping, but when's he's outside and running around it's horrendous. I have tried just about everything the noisy can, the double stick tape, the leash. Many times there is nothing on the counter/dresser but he has to be so nosy. The counter cruising is also driving me nuts. Someone told me to use mouse traps that would get his nose.....OUCH, that sounds somewhat cruel to me, did anyone else try that.

I am open to suggestions, otherwise I am going to get the buzzy thing and start zapping him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need More Advice

Quote Originally Posted by mombear
    Well Parker is doing really well with most of his training, EXCEPT for the jumping/counter cruising still. He is doing somewhat better with the "greeting" jumping, but when's he's outside and running around it's horrendous. I have tried just about everything the noisy can, the double stick tape, the leash. Many times there is nothing on the counter/dresser but he has to be so nosy. The counter cruising is also driving me nuts. Someone told me to use mouse traps that would get his nose.....OUCH, that sounds somewhat cruel to me, did anyone else try that.

I am open to suggestions, otherwise I am going to get the buzzy thing and start zapping him.
    Alfie was a counter surfer i knew because he left dirty prints on the worktops plus various food items went missing. The only thing you can do is not leave anything on the sides...counter surfing is self rewarding. I also used to leave alfie on his bed in kitchen and leave something on side for him to see id hide behind door and burst in the room a couple of minutes later that also seemed to work, him knowing id be back at any minute. He doesnt do it anymore. Ive never had a problem with jumping up im afraid

brody is offline Senior Member

it's a shock collar not a buzzy thing and it should be a little more complicated then "zapping" him

Someone told me to use mouse traps that would get his nose.....OUCH, that sounds somewhat cruel to me, did anyone else try that.
    him.
    generally you'd use them upside down and the noise would deter the dog - an advantage of these set ups is that the dog doesn't associate you with them .. therefore (at least in theory) they should learn to avoid counter surfing

in my experience dogs counter surf because it pays - if they find stuff up there it's nearly impossible to teach a young athletic dog not to surf if you aren't there to enforce the rules.. once they've find stuff they keep looking

I have lived with dogs obsessed with what is on the counters and I have lived with dogs who could care less- until I lived with an obsessed dog I thought people who couldn't teach their dogs not to counter surf were not training that behaviour properly - now I know it's an individual thing ..
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Do you mean the mats, Peggy? I've heard those work wonders.

There's also this stuff that they use for cats, maybe you could try that? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751025 It's basically canned air that hisses out REALLY loudly when it detects movement in the area. I accidently set it off at my friends house and it scared the crap out of me!!

Here's a link for the mats:
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752972

I've also heard of people having success with putting a stack of cookie sheets up there hanging off the edge a bit and the dog ends up knocking them off creating a big noise and scaring themselves.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I may sound negative, but I doubt any of those things will work. I have tried many deterrants to keep Marlan off the counters, but the only thing that semi-works is keeping them clear. Even so, he still wants to sniff up there and take his chances. THe only real thing to do is be consistent with keeping him off.

My belief = Once a counter-surfer, always a counter surfer.

The shock collar might work while you're home and watching, but any other time you'll be hooped with a bare counter and a shocked dog.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My belief = Once a counter-surfer, always a counter surfer.
    Agree.

My beloved Puff never counter surfs or scrounges waste baskets. But she's a self-regulating Lab as far as food is concerned.

My beloved Bess was extremely food oriented, a glutton, an inveterate counter surfer and diver of kitchen wastebaskets.

The only thing that worked was to never, ever leave food on the counter and to keep kitchen waste baskets behind latched doors.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Tristan is the most food obsessed, driven dog that I've ever met - I don't doubt that I could half kill him in punishment and he'd still try to steal food. He's not allowed in the kitchen unsupervised anymore. You pick your battles.

And please, read up on shock collars and their proper use before you even think of using one. You can absolutely and permanently ruin your dog's temperament using one improperly.

Dani is offline Senior Member

As I previously stated, tether him to you or crate when you can't supervise. if you aren't there to immediately correct him, those other things are worthless.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003