New Puppy, some advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy, some advice?

DefaultNew Puppy, some advice?

Hi there, I am getting a lab puppy in the next couple weeks from a friend who is a breeder. My daughter picked out one of the seven puppies, the largest one in the litter. She is a lovely yellow lab, but what I have noticed is that her coat seems to be a little longer than the others. My daughter calls her coat whispy. Is this a common trait? I have never noticed it before. Also, at 7 weeks, her teeth seem to be coming in slower than her brothers and sisters. Any cause for concern?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New Puppy, some advice?

Firstly, congratulations on your new puppy!

I would definately consult with the breeder. is your friend a breeder of registered Labs? If so, she/he should be able to provide you with health certifications. Have you seen the dam & sire? How much longer is the fur? I am no expert so I can't really offer more advice than asking the breeder for the certifications & beeding info, which they should make available upfront anyway.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi, welcome!!
    The breeder probably has puppy pics on her website, no? Can you show us so we know what you're talking about?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I have met the parents, I've known them for years. Beautiful standard Labradors. Short smooth, sleek coats on both of them. I have been doing a little more research online, and from what I have seen, it seems that our pup has fur similar to what has been described as "wire haired". It's soft and mostly short, with whispies. I read on another site that there is a recessive gene that can cause a longer "wire haired" coat in labs...anyone else heard of this?

They are registered breeders, here in Napa Valley. I've met several litters of their pups and never saw a coat like this one.

Now, about the teeth...how old should they be when they have a full mouth of baby teeth? I can feel hers when I rub my finger on her gums, and she is definitely teething, but no real visible teeth yet. She's 8 weeks today.

thank you for the advice. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

melissa

First congrats on the new pup.

Are you sure the pup is 8 weeks? As far as I remember Gordon had a full set of baby teeth by eight weeks.

Yup, 8 weeks. All the other pups in the litter have their baby teeth. Our little lady doesn't. Cause for major concern or is she just a slow poke?

I wish I had some advice for you as far as the teeth. It seems a little strange to me. Do you have a local vet that you might be able to discuss this with before you bring this puppy home?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would be concerned that her teeth aren't all there by eight weeks.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I would be immensely concerned about the teeth and the coat.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Introducing Bean, the wire haired Yellow Lab. My daughter calls her "Whispy" and you can see why. 8 puppies in the litter, all smooth coats except her. She is the biggest and the last to get her teeth (they are coming in now). I've known the breeders for years, and both the father and mother are healthy, normal Yellow Labs.

I've read of a recessive gene in the Yellow and Chocolate breeds that can produce a wire coat. Has anyone else heard of or seen this?
    I do not mind the wirey coat. I think she is perfect just as she is, although it is unique. Now I am just curious...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast