Lab with NO BITE INHIBITION

Thread: Lab with NO BITE INHIBITION

DefaultLab with NO BITE INHIBITION

Hi there-
    I have a 12 month old lab who doesnt seem to know her bite inhibhition. We have had her since she was 7 weeks. She bites and chews on my arms, legs or anything she can. I have tried yelping, turning around and squirting and none have worked. Recently I have started clicking and treating when she isnt biting. For example: I pet her on the face and if she doesnt try to bite I click and treat "good no bite." However, when I am not training, its like she knows it and just comes up and trys to get my attention by grabing my arm with her mouth. When I say no bite in a firm voice it gets her worked up and she bites again. When I try pinching her cheeks in her teeth she comes at me and bites more. I dont know if this is play, or if this is her trying to assert dominance or be agressive. I am at the end of the rope with this dog. I just want a dog that enjoys being around people, and doesnt want to hurt them! When will this happen with her? Any advice would be great!

Also, I am working with a trainer on some issues as well. She developed some resource agression with her dinner after we watched a dog last summer. We discussed the biting with the trainer, but we spent more time dealing with the food gaurding.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab with NO BITE INHIBITION

i had a friend who has a yellow lab who had a bite problem. the only way that they fixed it was to either ignore her by turning their back on her when she bit or by tying her up in her least favourite place for 5 minute intervals.... the room they tied her up in was the bathroom, which she has always hated and it was away from human contact, also the rope they had to tie her up with was very short and restrictive.

By combining both methods this has stopped her biting AND jumping issues. The key is to be consistent with your method and lots of praise when the dog does the right thing.

Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

kaytris is offline Senior Member

How much exercise does she get? Does she get chances to romp and wrestle with other dogs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We play fetch in the backyard daily, and she goes for a run a couple of times a week. She does get a chance to play with other dogs, but not on a regular basis.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I bet if you increased her physical and mental exercise, plus found a regular playmate of similar (rough and tumble wrestling) playstyle, she'd be less likely to turn to you to release all that pent up energy.

Labs are genrally mouthy. My Angus is an especially mouthy boy, not to hurt, but to play. He is 18 months old now and when he gets excited he tries to take your hand, sleeve, foot or watever in his mouth. We are aware that someone could get hurt or scared which would result in bad things for Angus. He uses a very soft mouth with us if we enage him that soer of play, and NO MOUTH with anyone else. If he shows signs that he may try to take a person's hand in play he gets a time out and a "NO MOUTH", possibly an indx fingr placed over his muzzle. It an be a difficult trait/impulse for some labs to overcome. I does't help that some grown men like to try to "play wrestle"with him, which he loves, but it could result in a scratch or torn clothing from teeth or nails...he is a full 80lb of play, after all.