off-leash training

Thread: off-leash training

Defaultoff-leash training

I hope this doesn't sound like a really stupid question..........I have been working with Sonny (18 weeks old) for about 6 weeks now on basic obedience (come, sit, down, stay and heel). Throughout this period I have always had his lead on. We started out working in the backyard and then gradually moved to more public places. The past few days I've started working with him off the leash in the backyard. What, if any are the disadvantages to working with him off the leash?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: off-leash training

Convenience for one. You can go do poop/potty trips without the leash.

SAFETY - You can successfully romp around knowing that your dog is safe from traffic etc., which leads to more...

EXERCISE - The aerobic burn of off-leash running can be just the ticket to calm down a wild Lab.

And then there's

SWIMMING - Another cardio workout. Much easier off-leash. And, if you're interested...

COMPETING (like Agility and advanced obed).

kaytris is offline Senior Member

drawbacks?

-It's against the law in many municipalities to have a dog offleash outside of a designated offleash park.

-it can be risky: http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/guide/gde_trst.htm

eta - not saying that dogs should never be offleash - I use off leash areas daily, but you do need to use caution and remember that dogs are still animals, with the free will to choose not to listen sometimes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have a huge back yard but it abuts a farm field thats tilled so it has a lot of mud, So what we do is when we take Denali out when he seems to be in his hyper mood we put his leash on and just let him tow it behind him as we train him. no worry there is nothing that he could get the leash wrapped on. These seems to work great because it allows us to make sure when he starts heading off into the direction we don't want him to go in we can pick up the leash and correct him.

What, if any are the disadvantages to working with him off the leash?
    In an area that is completely fenced so there is no worry of getting loose? None that I can think of! Within a safe enviroment, working with your dog off leash extends his understanding of obedience to another factor: distance. A dog that will obey the sit command while on leash 12 inches in front of you may not when off leash 5 feet away. Knowing that sit means sit whether at your side or 20 yards away solidifies the command that much more.