Help! 1 yr lab attacking older animals in house! How can I stop it if at all?

Thread: Help! 1 yr lab attacking older animals in house! How can I stop it if at all?

DefaultHelp! 1 yr lab attacking older animals in house! How can I stop it if at all?

I just adopted a 1 year old chocolate lab. She was abandoned and possibly abused by a patient of my husband's. We brought her home, got her fixed and got all of her shots. We bought a new extra large cage, food and lots of toys. She is the sweetest dog. She thinks she's a lap dog. Unfortunately, the only downsize is she keeps trying to attack our 10 year old cat and 11 year old Lhasa. The attack at first was playful, but now it's become very mean. My Lhasa has been ill for alot of years and he is finally doing so well. I don't want him to have a relaps. Our house is too small to put them in separate rooms. What can I do to stop this behavior. Is it possible? Or is she not a good fit in this household? Help! :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help! 1 yr lab attacking older animals in house! How can I stop it if at all?

Tether her to you, and brush up on her obedience. reward, reward, REWARD any and all calm behaviour around your older dog and cat. If she has no training at all, get theeself to a basic obedience class ASAP

DefaultRe: Help! 1 yr lab attacking older animals in house! How can I stop it if at all?

Sounds like the lab just needs more time and obedience to understand the rules in the new home. I also share the house with a choco and a lhasa and at first, the situation seemed a bit choatic. Luckily, the lhasa was young, in great health and very much had the personality to stick up for himself, so that really helped with teaching Roxy not to get too rough with him when they played. Teaching Roxy "Leave it!" was what worked for us. When we thought she was getting too rough with the little guy, we could use the command and she knew to knock it off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

Sally is not always kind to the elderly

some of the elderly won't put her in her place so she wears a drag lead and gets deflected if she gives any new foster a hard time (she only wants to play but a blind deaf 11 pound shi does NOT need a foot in the face or to be stomped)

she generally settles fairly quickly and the oldies learn to give her wide berth and maybe even grumble at her - she's pretty respectful if anybody tells her the rules!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller