High Prey drive

Thread: High Prey drive

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultHigh Prey drive

Im positive alfie has a high prey drive and i wondered if anyone knew of any activities i could do to satisfy this as he isnt going to be used for hunting. I know you can do trials but dont know what that entails...do i have to shoot anything lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: High Prey drive

Teach retrieving -- hand signals, voice commands, whistle signals.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

High drive dogs are the best kind of dogs (IMO) providing you channel their energy positively. You can have a LOT of fun with a high drive dog. There are all kind of options available to you. Agility training, obedience training (competitive obedience that is, like the stuff you see on Crufts -- far more challenging), flyball, heelwork to music, gundog training, etc., etc. Heck, if you have a search and rescue dog unit anywhere near you, you could even enquire there.

From what I remember, you already do gundog training with Alfie? definitely persist if you are having second thoughts. You don't ever have to fire a gun and you can gundog train strictly for fun. Most people who join gundog training groups are not interested in shooting or trailing -- they do it for fun and to give their dog a 'job' to do. Although, that said, you never know -- some people who START doing it just for fun end up being bitten by the bug and actually competing in tests and trials.

Don't forget that there is really no limit to what you can teach a dog if you put the work in. High drive dogs generally excel in learning new things quickly. Even teaching them to 'work' for you in the house (opening/closing doors and cupboards, fetching specific items, etc.) gives them a wonderful mental workout.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    High drive dogs are the best kind of dogs (IMO) providing you channel their energy positively. You can have a LOT of fun with a high drive dog. There are all kind of options available to you. Agility training, obedience training (competitive obedience that is, like the stuff you see on Crufts -- far more challenging), flyball, heelwork to music, gundog training, etc., etc. Heck, if you have a search and rescue dog unit anywhere near you, you could even enquire there.

From what I remember, you already do gundog training with Alfie? definitely persist if you are having second thoughts. You don't ever have to fire a gun and you can gundog train strictly for fun. Most people who join gundog training groups are not interested in shooting or trailing -- they do it for fun and to give their dog a 'job' to do. Although, that said, you never know -- some people who START doing it just for fun end up being bitten by the bug and actually competing in tests and trials.

Don't forget that there is really no limit to what you can teach a dog if you put the work in. High drive dogs generally excel in learning new things quickly. Even teaching them to 'work' for you in the house (opening/closing doors and cupboards, fetching specific items, etc.) gives them a wonderful mental workout.
    Yes we go to gundog training once a week and that is just for fun and i use what ive learnt while we are out and in back yard. Agility sounds good and for some reason i always imagined flyball for collies never seen a lab do it

Im gonna have a good look around my area i think and get him into something else. Might look at somewhere that practises scentwork as he is brilliant at that

Thanks!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Agility sounds good and for some reason i always imagined flyball for collies never seen a lab do it
    I think the majority of dogs that compete in flyball are Border Collies. But that is competing, and like with the gundog training, most people are not interested in competing seriously. I believe that one of our members -- Tanya -- does flyball with her Lab.

You will have no trouble in finding an agility class. They have them everywhere nowadays.

sla

Great ideas on this so far. Keep his mind and body busy. I do a lot of field/gun dog training, but it's a personal preference. The dogs we have are very driven, also very 'birdy'. They come by it honestly. Whatever you choose, it will keep alfie in shape, both mentally and physically. Retrieving is the first thing you think of because it's a labrador, but the agility, flyball, etc... as suggested or maybe even search and rescue are all things to check into if the gun dog training isn't to your liking. Have fun looking into things!

Quote Originally Posted by sla
    Great ideas on this so far. Keep his mind and body busy. I do a lot of field/gun dog training, but it's a personal preference. The dogs we have are very driven, also very 'birdy'. They come by it honestly. Whatever you choose, it will keep alfie in shape, both mentally and physically. Retrieving is the first thing you think of because it's a labrador, but the agility, flyball, etc... as suggested or maybe even search and rescue are all things to check into if the gun dog training isn't to your liking. Have fun looking into things!
    Thanks! Alfie is very birdy he tried to eat my budgie! :surprise: lol

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Hey! did someone say my name

Flyball is great for a high drive dog. Yes there are alot of BC and Aussie's (and the new "designer height dogs") but there are all kinds of dogs out there. It's a fun sport when you find the right team. And that's the thing - it's more a team thing than any of the other dog sports.

Having said that, ALL dogs sports can be great! It's about finding the one that is the best fit. And that has alot to do about the training facilities and coaches. Go around and find information on all of them. See which group you feel more at home with. Try beginner classes to more than one (pick the one that fits your schedule best!)

I've done two years of flyball. I'm now looking to add another activity. I've taken a beginner rally class which was good but I'm tempted to try agility.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

its my understanding that there are different classes and levels in flyball, and some of the levels require each dog to be a different breed or breed mix, so that you can play with any dog (isn't that right Tanya?) - the really competitive teams are of course mostly borders with a height dog for variety, but if you aren't going for world records, the other levels will work fine.

But I say agility agility agility

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yep there are different classes.

Multi - you MUST have all different breeds/mixes

teams are also grouped by speed. So one group of dogs will be under 25 seconds (if you go too fast you automatically loose the race!). So a team with an average speed of 17 seconds will NOT race a team that averages 25 seconds!

If you want to race to win then you need to pick your puppy accordingly (and breed!) but I'm in it for fun (as are most people in my team). There are those in it for fun who put in all kinds of breeds. Heck i've been at it 2 years and have yet to compete! it's fun, and with the right club, it's all about socializing
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky