digging

Thread: digging

Defaultdigging

[size=10pt]How can I discourage my 5 month old chocolate lab from digging holes in the back yard, the flower bed, around the septic? I've tried black pepper and the holes only got much bigger!![/size]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: digging

Milly has started digging a hole in one area of our yard. We've put her plastic clam shell with water over the top of it so she can't get to it and she hasn't dug anywhere else yet... *fingers crossed it stays that way* I'd like to see what others on the forum suggest as I feel Milly will enjoy digging everyone and then as she gets older and would like to make sure it stops asap! (if that's possible!)
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Someone here suggested putting their poop in the holes...and I did it and it worked for Blue..she never goes near one of her holes when I have done that. Now I just reseeded/soiled the backyard and she has only redug one hole.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Someone here suggested putting their poop in the holes...and I did it and it worked for Blue..she never goes near one of her holes when I have done that.
    ha! that's recycling

I will have to give that a go.... how long did you leave them in there for before you threw her poop out?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

Um...don't leave her outside unsupervised. If you are not there to see it, you can't correct your dog, so I would recommend not leaving them out unsupervised. It's a boredom thing most of the time. My Rook will do it if I leave him out too long...exercise your dog more and supervise...that is the only way to curtail.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Um...don't leave her outside unsupervised. If you are not there to see it, you can't correct your dog, so I would recommend not leaving them out unsupervised. It's a boredom thing most of the time. My Rook will do it if I leave him out too long...exercise your dog more and supervise...that is the only way to curtail.
    I agree with the supervision aspect.

Beware if you go the poop route - your pup may decide the poop makes a good snack (and if you think it's hard to discourage digging - it's nothing compared to discouraging a poop eater!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

bigrodt is offline Member

I am having the same challenge with digging. My Chocolate will be a year next month and he has a tendancy to dig in one particular spot. I recently laid some sod down and left one spot bare with dirt. He seems to concentrate in that spot and any other spot has bare dirt. I will try to poop strategy. We/I have been slack on the exercise lately, so we will try to get back on schedule to see if that helps.

Joey is offline Senior Member

Cooper has never been much of a digger, but just a few weeks ago he started. I don't think in his case it was an exercise problem, he exercise plenty, but I think he was digging because of something he would smell, not sure if it was bugs?? We could be in the middle of playing ball and he would stop, start sniffing and then start to dig. I also had been not supervising as much as before, so now I am either out there with him or watching almost the entire time. When he would start, I would correct him and then distract him with a toy or show him his own digging spot I made for him under our deck. I sometimes hide treats and encourage him to dig there and praise him. I also let him dig other places, like in the sand of a riverbank we walk to lots.

I know that Cooper will not eat his own poop, other's sometimes, but never his own. So in the places where he had started I did put some in and covered them back up and he will sniff at it and then walk away.

Hope you get it figured out before your lawn is full of holes!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Bingo!