Gentle lead collars!

Thread: Gentle lead collars!

DefaultGentle lead collars!

We have been using a regular collar on Denali, but our walks are more of me trying to get his attention and walk with us at a slow speed. We have looked into the gentle lead collars but the sizing is so cunfusing, he is 11-12 weeks old and weighs roughly about 20lbs, My question is does anyone know what the correct size collar is from him (we were looking at the small but would hate to purchase this and in a week or two have to get the med) and do they work as well as they claim?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Gentle lead collars!

If you want to avoid buying new sizes every couple of months, I'd wait. Keep working on heal commands for a while. He's still very little. I bought a gentle lead harness for my boy (now 6 1/2 years) only because he was still getting excited when he met other dogs and would pull me off my feet. Good luck, I know its alot of work, but its so worth it down the road.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

While I don't recommend the GL head collars, I will say that PetSmart generally does a good job of allowing you to try the GL on your dog in the store and helping you learn to adjust it. That may be a good way for you to find out what size fits her.

They do the same with the Easy Walk Harness, made by the same company, and which I do recommend.

Just food for thought, Maggie HATED her gentle leader that I bought her. She does much better with a the sensation harness that Kate recommended to me. Maggie really didn't like having something on her head...but she does great now with the harness. Just something to think about and be prepared about when you try it! Hopefully your puppy will take to it better than mine did!