Dog Parks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Parks

DefaultDog Parks

I have done a search and read several threads on dog parks. However, my question is....I have a 5 month old lab who has had all his shots. We have a very nice dog park near us that relatively new and I wondered whether he is still to young to be taken there?

I currently walk with him on a trail in the afternoons but it would be nice to let him run freely or chase a ball. I guess I should wait until I know for sure that he will come back to me when called.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Parks

Can't you take him in there and keep him on the lead? Or on a long lead so you can be sure that he won't get away even if his recall isn't perfect? I have a 4 month old lab who gets her last shot this afternoon so i'm probably not the best help.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If the dogpark is fenced, go for it. Just be careful that your dog doesn't get overwhelmed or bullied.. I would go at a less busy time for his first few visits.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

My dog's recall was not the best (still isn't perfect... ) but when we tried the dog park when he was little, I was sure to bring a lot of treats and everytime I called him over, I gave him a little treat. Just something to bribe him with in case he wouldn't want to listen.... Then it turned out that as much of a cheeky monkey as he was, he was a bit too chicken to walk away too far from me, so he always stayed close until he grew bigger and braver.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd take him, make sure to take the lead off if you go. Being on leash alters their body language and makes them a target for other dogs.

Have fun!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

bigrodt is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I'd take him, make sure to take the lead off if you go. Being on leash alters their body language and makes them a target for other dogs.

Have fun!
    I agree with Baloo, make sure you pay attention to whether or not it is a leash on or off park. Its a problem if your dog is off leash and everyone else is on as well as the opposite. We made that mistake one time and my dog was harassed the entire time.

I would recommend going to the park to observe the dynamics before jumping in with both (actually 4) paws. Dog parks can be fun or frustrating. Be careful.

I have been taking Polly to the dog park since she was 5 months. I think that it's a good idea, even if their recall isn't the best, because a young pup is pretty likely to stick by your side in such a new environment. My park has a special area for small dogs and puppies --maybe yours does too? Treats are a good idea to encourage your pups recall, but prepare to be harassed by every other dog in the park! Good luck!

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Remy's only 4 months and we've brought him a couple of times since he got all his shots. He's done great! We started off putting him in the "small dog" section (Our park as two separate sections to keep the chihuahuas away from the great danes & rotties), but the last time we put him in the "big dog" and he was fabulous. It was important for us to have him socialized to other dog breeds since we have so many in our neighborhood. He had a blast running and chasing and trying to keep up with the big guys.

We don't have a great recall with Remy, but he did fine. Its more important that you watch the other dogs at the park. Not all older dogs like puppies and you may run into a grumpy old timer who is more than willing to tell your pup off. You may want to leave your pup in the car and scope out the dogs who are at the park already to see if any of them have issues with puppies. The first time we went there was one dog that just go too playful with Remy...not aggressive, but playing too rough with him so we decided to leave.

Just stay close to your pup and keep an eye on him. Most everyone there will be doing the same thing.

Oh and be careful about bringing treats because some parks don't allow them. Ours doesn't because they've had issues with dogs with food aggression.

Good luck...and don't forget your camera!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

What do you all think about a indoor park? In our city there is a dog training facility that has a indoor training area that they open on Saturday mornings for what they call puppy play. My wife and I are thinking about binging Denali there this Saturday. They do not allow pups over 16weeks and its only for about 1.5hrs. Seems to be a little safer then going to a park where he might be the smallest pup there.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by csully
    What do you all think about a indoor park? In our city there is a dog training facility that has a indoor training area that they open on Saturday mornings for what they call puppy play. My wife and I are thinking about binging Denali there this Saturday. They do not allow pups over 16weeks and its only for about 1.5hrs. Seems to be a little safer then going to a park where he might be the smallest pup there.
    I'd go for it. Sounds like fun with lots of cute pups!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast