Maggie has temper tantrums on our walks!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maggie has temper tantrums on our walks!?!

DefaultMaggie has temper tantrums on our walks!?!

I try to walk Maggie at least three times a day as time and weather allow. Lately she has been having these fits that seem to come out of nowhere. She will jump up on me and try to bite my jacket, pants whatever she can get at. I have tried everything, but it's almost like she needs a timeout to get over it. I will turn around if she jumps up or barks, but she just jumps on my back. I have tried to hold her in between my legs while holding her by the harness so she can't move and wait out the tantrum. I really am confused by this behavior and am not sure how to handle it. Anyone have experience with this? Oh also, wants she gets passed the fit she is fine on the walk!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Maggie has temper tantrums on our walks!?!

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I think the odds are about 97 out of 100 that I'm correct.

I think that Maggie wants to play and that's what she's inviting (demanding) you to do. From what you describe and your other posts (barking, etc.), I think Maggie needs more vigorous daily exercise. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., leashed "walks a day" would rarely be enough for most Labs. They're high energy dogs and most need vigorous daily exercise (VDE), not only as pups but as young adults.

What is VDE? Swimming; running offleash as in retrieving, playing fetch; playing with another dog that likes to run, wrestle, etc.

The general rule of thumb for VDE is 5 minutes a day for each month of age up to 60 minutes. My Puff was highly "wired" as a pup and needed double that amount to stay reasonably docile and civil the other parts of the day. So she got TWO VDE periods, about 12 hours apart.

While leashed walking is VERY good to do as a means of training "heel" and civilized behavior, it's really not sufficient to bleed off the steam and energy most young Labs produce every day. You can keep up some daily walking BUT, PLEASE, find some additional safe daily outlets for Maggie's energy.

Look in your neighborhood for other young dogs roughly Maggie's size and possibly arrange playdates for an hour a day several days a week in a fenced yard. Or is there a dog park/bark park nearby? Some are excellent, some not. Fenced ball fields or school yards are often suitable, safe places to play fetch off leash.***

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" --
    Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad
    Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own
    Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

__________________________________________________ __________

*** ETA: be sure to take poop pick-up bags to any public or private place you use.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

That sounds right...We try to get her as much exercise as we can, but the weather here is usually really crappy being in Central Illinois. We are planning to go to the park today for a while and they have a fenced in area we play catch. What would you suggest for rainy days? Tomorrow and Friday we are supposed to get NOTHING but more rain Also, do you think it's warm enough for swimming? It's an average of about 45-50 degrees here, so is the water too chilly still?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What would you suggest for rainy days? Tomorrow and Friday we are supposed to get NOTHING but more rain
    Get a golf umbrella (available @ Sam's Clubs, Costcos, etc.) which are non metallic and have double, overlapping canopies so that wind gusts spill out and wind doesn't bother as much as with single canopy umbrellas.

Get a breatheable rain suit or poncho. Avoid any that do not say breatheable. High quality ones (GoreTex) can be $300 but lower level (almost as) satisfactory ones are sometimes found at Sam's or Costco for maybe $45. Or search online -- but be sure it says "breatheable." Any cheap plastic or rubberized rainsuits will quickly make you as wet inside as if you hadn't put it on.

Check the radar on The Weather Channel (or other TV source) or TWC online to avoid going out when there's a lightning storm in your area.

For those times the weather is too bad even when you can dress for it, play some games at home with Maggie: For instance, hide a few of her toys in easy to find places and as soon as she learns the rules of the game, hide them in progressively harder to find places. If you have an upstairs, that's an even better place to hide them because then she has to make a trip up and down to bring you each one (while you make only one trip to hide many).

Also, do you think it's warm enough for swimming? It's an average of about 45-50 degrees here, so is the water too chilly still?
    It's probably still too cold for a pup. Adult Labs often go in water even when there's some ice on it.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Abbie was like that also at about 3 to 4 mos? So I started playing with her and burning some of that energy up before walks. I live in Minooka IL, so I know what the weather has been like. I invested in lots of tennis balls, nerf balls, anything that was safe to throw in the house? We play in the hallway, kitchen etc, also when I took her to the dogpark I never take her in without playing with her and walking her first, gets out some of the pentup energy?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you can find a dog/puppy of similar size/temperament/playstyle, set up regular 'playdates'. NOTHING wears a dog out like rough and tumble wrestle play.

Some dog-daycares have evening/weekend open house playtimes.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

My first thought was the same as bob pr! puppy wants to plllllllay

I also agree with his recommendations - more exercise, rain or shine. I'm out there in the snow storm to ensure my boy (and foster) get exercise. It means many changes of clothes in a day and lots of wiping down (right now it's spring, it's VERY VERY dirty out there and I have to wipe down both dogs each time).

Now, what I would try for your current problem (puppy is being playful on leash) is bring treats and distract with obedience. Sit. Down. Sit. (insert any other command she knows). Gives her something else to concentrate on. Then try walking again.

but again, a leashed walk (even if there are many) is rarely enough exercise for a young labrador. Even if it's running in the back yard with her, throwing a ball, finding a dog park, finding a friend to have playdates with - you are going to have to do something.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

First off thank you for all of the GREAT advice! It never fails, this forum is my life saver!! Sometimes the obvious just isn't so obvious to me ;D

Get a golf umbrella (available @ Sam's Clubs, Costcos, etc.) which are non metallic and have double, overlapping canopies so that wind gusts spill out and wind doesn't bother as much as with single canopy umbrellas.

Get a breatheable rain suit or poncho. Avoid any that do not say breatheable. High quality ones (GoreTex) can be $300 but lower level (almost as) satisfactory ones are sometimes found at Sam's or Costco for maybe $45. Or search online -- but be sure it says "breatheable." Any cheap plastic or rubberized rainsuits will quickly make you as wet inside as if you hadn't put it on.

Maggie WILL NOT go out from under the awnings of our place when it is raining. I have tried to get her to walk with me and have practically dragged her for a block to get her to come with, but she hates the rain! Plus lately it has been really cold and rainy which I'm sure makes it no better for her. We have made a huge effort on rainy days though to play with her a lot. Our place is really long so she has a lot of room to run full speed without having to stop, which is nice for her. We play a hide and seek game, which also helps her learn to "come" when we call her name. I have to admit it's pretty fun! ;D

I called around at some of the puppy places around us and none of them offer like a doggy day care type thing for her to go to. I did find one in Effingham that will take her on Tuesdays to run and play with other puppies all day. It's about 45 min from here, but it's worth it for her!! That will be great for her, and also her puppy class that we go to on Mondays is great too.

Anyway, thank you all for the wonderful thoughts. I take everything you all say very seriously !! I'm an newbie!!

Are there any neighbors or people in your neighborhood who have friendly dogs and a fenced backyard?

On your walks, have you seen any other dogs in yards that Maggie looked like she wanted to meet?

If you see some dogs in yards, even if they bark at you and Maggie, you might go over and let them sniff each other through the fence. If you get a lot of mutual tail wagging, hey, maybe they could be good play friends? Might be worth it to contact the owners and see if they'd mind a supervised playdate.

I've heard of other Labs that don't like to go out in the rain. Puff doesn't mind as long as there's no thunder. You might ask if someone has had success in overcoming their dog's reluctance. I'm sure it's possible -- they really won't melt.

DefaultRe: "Breatheable" vs. not breatheable rain suits

I should have said that the non-breatheable cheaper plastic or rubberized rainsuits (about $5-10 for either a top or bottom) can be perfectly fine for anyone wearing one for only a few minutes as in standing in attendance in the backyard while your dog pees and potties.

But for those who use a rainsuit for walking (say 10-60 minutes), the breatheable is greatly preferred (and the longer the time the greater the preference).

Any exercise by the wearer generates perspiration and that's usually not noticed or apparent in dry weather because it easily breathes out through normal clothes.

BUT when it's raining and the humidity is already 100+%, the slight amount of extra perspiration together with the saturated humidity condenses on the inside of the rainsuit so it becomes VERY wet and saturates one's clothing. No fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast