Barking

Thread: Barking

DefaultBarking

Okay, tonight was Maggie's first puppy class! She did great and got along with all the others really well, but then...she started barking and she barked more than anyone. All the other puppies were sitting nicely because they were tired out from playing and she just barked and barked. The teacher was trying to talk and I felt so bad! I know you're supposed to just ignore that behavior, but it's hard! Anyone have any advice?

On the good side, we got lots of compliments on how pretty she was

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Barking

distract her as best you can... quietly practice luring her into sits and downs, massage her, move or walk her around if the class structure permits it...

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

I agree with Kaytris. Unfortunately, just ignoring barking may not be enough. Barking can be self-rewarding. Try distraction, or keeping her busy doing something other than barking. In a class that I used to attend, some of the owners with the more excitable dogs had small Kongs and jars of peanut butter in a tote that they brought to class with them. During times when the instructor was talking, they could just spread a little peanut butter inside the Kong and give it to the dog. Those dogs were usually very quiet!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Alfie did it on his 1st class, he did it half on 2nd and none on 3rd. Please dont stop going the more she goes the less she will bark. Also i taught "enough" i said in stern voice enough and praised when he stopped barking.

We won't stop going!! We love it!! I just didn't want to be a hassle for the teacher you know? I will DEFINITELY try the peanut butter and Kong thing, that sounds like just up her alley! She LOVES peanut butter! Thanks for the great advice!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Did the instructor not give any tips?

During my last class there were a few barkers. The teacher said they should distract the dog, as the others mentionned. Put them in a sit. Then a down. The a sit. anything to keep them busy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Well one of the instructors came to me after we got done and asked if Maggie was an only dog. I said yes, and she said that that's odd behavior for a lab. I was just like okay, well this is the first time she's been around a lot of dogs before, so she's probably just wound up and she didn't say anything after that. I did think of this though, Maggie has stayed with my dad a few times, where they have a small chihuahua. They would bark at each other anytime they were together. That MAY have been where she learned to bark for attention...but could just be anything.