Turned Into A Bratty Boy

Thread: Turned Into A Bratty Boy

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultTurned Into A Bratty Boy

Well Parker is now 7 months old and is again feeling his oats. Does not come when called, ignores orders to get down, or off, like he's deaf....however can understand the word treat. I think they call it selective hearing loss. I am trying to be consistent but it's getting aggravating. Still counter cruising, but I'm trying to move things back so he can't get anything but this boy can pick up a dirty dish out of the sink. I've heard of Houdini, could he be Dog-ini. argggggh >

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Turned Into A Bratty Boy

Welcome to "the teenage years". Seriously. They all go through it, you just have to keep being consistant and eventually he'll be back to your well behaved lab.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Dani is offline Senior Member

Don't let him off leash including in the house if he has a "hearing problem". Tether him to you so that you can instantly correct him in the house with getting down, counter surfing, etc. Don't treat him for misbehaving. When outside, put a long check chord on him and if he doesn't come, reel his ass to you. NEVER issue a command that you can't enforce compliance with. So if he's aways from you and you say come, and he doesn't come, you have no means to get him to come do you? Set him up for success..yes he's being a knuckled head, so it's time for you to remind him who is the boss.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Dani knows her stuff and has great advice! I know when Sammi was that age we lived by the rules NFF- Nothing for free, she had to earn everything- and yes I kept her leashed as Dani said. Stick with it, all the hard work is worth it! Di

pross1492 is offline Member

im no expert, but here's what ive observed in my pup: sadie is almost 9 months old and she is in the midst of another mini-rebellion. at about 7 months she did the same sort of thing....ignoring "come" was the biggest issue. it lasted maybe two weeks, then she went back to being an obedient dog. in the last couple weeks, she's gone back to ignoring basic commands, especially "come". what ive noticed is that she usually gets in these funks during a growth spurt. i think the most important thing is to stay consistent and try not to get too frustrated by it.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above!

Just be consistent with the training and you'll both come out the other end! Baloo is just *starting* to come around the other side of his "teenage rebellion", and I can't say I'll miss it when it's gone. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

What Dani said.
    I feel for you. We went through it with Angus, and he is 18 months old now and we survived!!