carpet chewer

Thread: carpet chewer

Defaultcarpet chewer

Oscar has been chewing up this corner of carpet at the top of our stairs, and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what they used to remedy it. I was thinking maybe a couple drops of vinegar or maybe even Bitter Apple. Post up and discuss. TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: carpet chewer

Yes we had this problem a few months ago.. Everytime I would leave the room for a minute she would run over and eat at the carpet on the top ledge of the stairs.. The spray didn't work for us.. she still ste at it.. We finally had to put a gate there to keep her away.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Why aren't you supervising him or crating him when you can't? That should solve your problem. You can't correct what you don't see and if you don't see him, then he should be crated.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

On top of crating when you can't watch him, teach leave it and tell him to leave it when you see him starting to gnaw on the carpet. Reward like crazy when he leaves it alone.

thanks for the replies. he is being supervised, and the top of the stairs is visable from the couch, but sometimes he sneaks over there and gets into it. Ive been doing a good job of keeping him from going over there, and it hasnt been a problem today. short of a gate by the stairs, I guess Im just gong to have to keep a close eye on him. thanks for the help.