Aggressive behavior

Thread: Aggressive behavior

DefaultAggressive behavior

It is now to the point where I am absolutely embarrassed to take my dog out for a walk. Porter is now 7 months old, and he has been growling and barking at strangers since we brought him home.

I think it may just be his nature that he is aggressive, and this may be a problem that cannot be corrected. When I take him for a walk, as soon as he sees another person in their driveway, or across the street, he starts getting extremely hyper, and begins to growl and bark. I try to correct this by having him sit and stay, or by pulling on his leash. Nothing works.

When Porter is in the back yard and he even sees the neighborhood kids playing, he'll start to growl and bark.

When somebody he doesn't know approaches him, his cockles will go up, he'll growl, he'll even pee, and he won't warm up until he smells their hand.

My wife is 7 months pregnant, and we have a 20 month old daughter at home, I am very worried that we will need to have to get rid of this dog. It breaks my heart, but I just don't think we can afford to have him bite a kid or something.

Please help, this is making my wife and I very very upset.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Aggressive behavior

This isn't something that can be diagnosed or helped with over the internet. Please, look for a local trainer/behaviourist - your vet/breeder/local shelter may have referrals, or look at the Association of pet dog trainers site for names in your area

Oh, I am definitely going to do that, I just needed to vent a little bit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have no advice, other than to seek a professional, but vent away. I am sorry you are going through this and I understand your concerns.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Have you had him since a pup? Have you contacted your breeder? I find most of this is genetic, but some is just anti-social behavior. Would be interesting to know what is in the gene pool.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by porter
    It is now to the point where I am absolutely embarrassed to take my dog out for a walk. Porter is now 7 months old, and he has been growling and barking at strangers since we brought him home.

I think it may just be his nature that he is aggressive, and this may be a problem that cannot be corrected. When I take him for a walk, as soon as he sees another person in their driveway, or across the street, he starts getting extremely hyper, and begins to growl and bark. I try to correct this by having him sit and stay, or by pulling on his leash. Nothing works.

When Porter is in the back yard and he even sees the neighborhood kids playing, he'll start to growl and bark.

When somebody he doesn't know approaches him, his cockles will go up, he'll growl, he'll even pee, and he won't warm up until he smells their hand.

My wife is 7 months pregnant, and we have a 20 month old daughter at home, I am very worried that we will need to have to get rid of this dog. It breaks my heart, but I just don't think we can afford to have him bite a kid or something.

Please help, this is making my wife and I very very upset.
    Training and better socialization is really required here. The peeing when approached by a stranger indicates he is fearful. Obedience will help him a lot, but you may not want to start out in a class - he may need some private work prior to a class. Ultimately the confidence he gains through obedience will help with his fearfulness - - -but if his antisocial acting out is genetic versus lack of socialization/training he may still be a difficult dog. Good luck with him!