After the Crate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After the Crate

DefaultAfter the Crate

Right now Motu is crated during the day from about 7:30am-4:45pm. Someone comes by twice a day and takes him out for a little while. He sleeps in his crate at night - usually from 10:30pm - 5:00am.

We are considering our options as he gets older. We have a small fenced in backyard with an 8 x 14 covered but not enclosed patio and an uncovered patio about 12 x 20; the rest is grass. There is a well ventilated crawl space with a 4 foot "ceiling" that runs under the entire house.

So far we have come up with these options:

1. Stay with the current routine.

2. Leave him "loose" in the entire house or a couple rooms of the house with a dog door to the backyard and patios.

3. Leave him outside in the backyard with access to the patios, but not the house.

4. Leave him outside [no access to the house] and build him a room in the crawl space with dog door access. It would have a floor, and could have light, heat, and fan.

I would appreciate thoughts on these options or any other ideas.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: After the Crate

all my dogs are adults, so with bigger bladders and better bladder control, they don't need the frequent bathroom breaks. we both work full time, so we're usually away from home from 9am to 6pm. i try to go home at lunch time to let the dogs out, but that doesn't always happen.

our home is an open floor plan, so there is no way to block off the kitchen area, and when i've tried to give them free roam of the house, something in the kitchen always becomes too much of a temptation, and we would come home to destruction of some sort in their efforts to find the food. when we are home with them, they lose all interest in the kitchen, but boredom combined with freedom, they look for ways to entertain themselves. so, they get crated when we're gone.

i've toyed with the idea of building a dog run outside or just leaving them in the backyard since our yard is fenced in, but i don't like the idea of having them potentially barking and annoying the neighbors, digging, or eating something out there that will make them sick. also, i've heard too many horror stories of people taunting unattented dogs or throwing in foods that may be harmful for them.

long story short, our dogs are comfortable in their crates inside the house. the crates are large enough, and they enjoy their time in there as they get stuffed kongs and treats. when we're getting ready to leave the house, they rush into their crates and wait for their goodies. also, they sleep most of the day anyway, so it's not a big deal. at night time, they sleep with us in the bedroom, uncrated. if we did have to crate them at night, we would likely look into converting a spare room into a dog room where they could stay uncrated.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

I think this will depend on Motu. Piper has always been uncrated. She does go to doggie daycare 2-3 times per week, but is home alone (well, alone with the cats) the other days. I work long hours and I usually swing by around lunchtime and let her out if she wants. However, outside of when she was teething, she hasn't accomplished any mass destruction and is very well-behaved. Wait and see what Motu's personality is like when he gets older. Maybe as he ages, you could try letting him out for a short time period (like between when you leave for work and the first time someone comes by to let him out) and see what happens. If that goes all right, then try longer periods. If the short time period doesn't go all right, then you know that free in the house (or free in the yard) isn't right for him just yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Merlin isnt crated. It depends on how much u trust your dog, and even though they are angels when you are around, and when they are in their crate, they may not have learnt what they can and cant do while you are away and they have the whole house.

Merlin is old enough now that we have a doggy door and he has free run of the house and backyard. He is perfectly behaved when Im not there. I let him have too much freedom too soon when he was younger, and my indoor plant suffered and so did my mat :

It wasnt that bad though, we just waited a few months and tried again, and eventually we got to a stage where he could be left alone, and I would come back to a lab that has clearly been just sleeping allll day!!! :P

oh and for your options I think having the backyard for him, and a few rooms of the house, (not bedrooms, and lounge maybe) is a good idea! ;D

erm I actually think you may have problems if you deny him the house, he may see it as a punishment, and something negative that you have left, and also denied him the house, and hes stuck out in the garden.

I'm uber-paranoid when it comes to Henry, so I personally would not want my dog outside without supervision (so that excludes your options #2, 3 and 4). He doesn't even go out to potty without me watching him. But that's just me. *shrugs*

So this is what I do... after he earned the privilege of being crate-free while I was gone all day at work (and he didn't get this until he was almost 4 years old, he's now almost 5), I first gave him free-roam of our kitchen and family room (ceramic tile floors), and then free-roam of the entire house (rest of house is hardwood floors).

Like Sunjin said, older dogs can hold it for longer and don't need as frequent potty breaks as pups do. The longest that Henry is home without a potty break is maybe 5 hours (I come home at lunch) and that seems to be working out well for us.

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    He doesn't even go out to potty without me watching him. But that's just me. *shrugs*
    no no it's not just you - I know at least two other folks on the list who are the same way ... maybe it's a canadian thing
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Are you worried he might get into something he shouldnt, or are dog thefts common over there?

I think basically its up to what you feel works for you, and he he doesnt do well, and gets into something then just wait a big longer.

I feel pretty sure that merlin cant get up to much when im not there, apart from maybe, i dunno falling down the two steps. We dont have any poisonous plants, the pool is fenced off, sharps things are put away. I feel that the house and garden are safe for him.

Are you worried he might get into something he shouldnt, or are dog thefts common over there?
    Both, even though my yard is dog-safe... no poisonous plants, it's completely securely fenced and gated.

But... he's allergic to bee stings... what if he got stung while I was at work? what if someone grabbed him from the yard? what if someone threw something not so nice over the fence? (there was a psycho out a few years back intentionally left poisoned hot dogs around for dogs at a park in Toronto and several dogs did die) what if, what if, what if? :-\

So, for me, it's peace of mind knowing he's much safer indoors. Again, I'm just saying, this is just me... I don't want this to turn into a debate over dog doors and who gives their dogs access to their yards while they're not home etc and who doesn't.

For the longest time I didn't even leave him uncrated inside... I was afraid he would destroy one of his stuffies and choke on the squeaker.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    He doesn't even go out to potty without me watching him. But that's just me. *shrugs*
    no no it's not just you - I know at least two other folks on the list who are the same way ... maybe it's a canadian thing
    Phew!!

PS. Merlin... I love your siggy pic!! What a handsome fella!!

I think option num. 2 is good... Thats what we do... And we bring her around the camp in the mornings and evenings for a good poop and run

I definatley worry about bee stings aswell even if they arent alergic, if they ate a bee, thats a major problem and spider bites. I have seen him with a cobweb on him before, and who knows what he pokes his nose into!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast