Still around and doing well...

Thread: Still around and doing well...

DefaultStill around and doing well...

Just a quick check-in...

Abbey was 10wks on Sunday...wow, time is flying! She had her 2nd vet visit yesterday and weighed in at 7.7kg (17lbs). I can't believe how fast she's growing. (She was 11lbs at 7wks.)

We've been having a lot of fun teaching her "tricks" and can't get over how smart labs really are. I knew training played a huge roll, but she just picks up everything so quickly.

At 9.5wks she knew sit, down, shake and spin. She LOVES spinning now, she about clanked her noggin' on the corner of the wall this morning. LOL Currently, we're working on "roll over." It's proven to be a more challenging trick but she's about 1/2 way there. Just trying to get the hang of *starting* the motion to roll.

She's still a great pup and we love her more and more everyday. BUT...she IS a barker! Oye! She'll even growl and bark if she's trying to sleep on your legs and SHE falls off. Drama queen? She's very gentle with the kids...even the 3y/o and everything is going smoothly. We're really antsy for her to get all of her shots, so we can finally take her for a walk.

Hope everyone else is doing ok with their little ones, it's definitely tiring and I'm really sick of being stuck in my dining room and kitchen. And there's only so much "4L plastic milk jug soccer" a mom to 4 can play!
    Thank goodness for kids...Abbey's always exhausted...no shortage of playmates around here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Still around and doing well...

Hrm - Milly's not a barker. I have to bark or growl at her for her to respond... she'll only bark or growl if we initiate it OR if she's around another puppy/dog. Mily's just perfected roll over.... it's adorable watching her! She even rolls over both ways which I was happy with .... I was told by a family friend that dogs can only roll over one way on their own... what bollocks! Roll over took Milly about 4 days to learn... the problem we have at the moment is heel!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    Hrm - Milly's not a barker. I have to bark or growl at her for her to respond... she'll only bark or growl if we initiate it OR if she's around another puppy/dog. Mily's just perfected roll over.... it's adorable watching her! She even rolls over both ways which I was happy with .... I was told by a family friend that dogs can only roll over one way on their own... what bollocks! Roll over took Milly about 4 days to learn... the problem we have at the moment is heel!
    Do you have young kids? The kids get her so riled up sometimes and this tends to start the barking. She's not a big growler, this usually occurs during a "tug" game. I actually quit allowing "tug." I worry, between the kids and Abbey, it'll cause problems. But YES, ever since she "found her voice" she's been using it a lot. It's usually around the kids while playing and sometimes when we're "training"...which I'm assuming is because she's getting frustrated or confused...so we quit and play.

Hmmm, wonder why they told you dogs will only roll over one way? Guess you proved them wrong huh? LOL

On the heeling note...how do you start introducing the concept to puppies? Being able to enjoyably walk Abbey is high on my list of things to accomplish. I see SO many lab owners getting dragged during walks...I do NOT want to be one of them! :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No kids whatsoever! Maybe that's why? When Milly chases me around the yard she will bark at me... but it's fun barking/play barking so we don't mind. But when we say "ok play time is over - settle down" she stops and goes back to her gooey cuddle little self.

Now! With heeling...... argh! So frustrating. We should have (in my opinion) made it a priority before the shake hands and roll over stuff because when they are only little they don't pull so much. So we bought a Halti for Milly. We start with her sitting on my left side and hold the leash in the left hand and a treat in the right, we sort of bend over and show her the treat and walk slowly while saying "heel" she follows the treat but everytime she pulls I stop, make her sit and we start again.

It's frustrating... she just wants to LUNGE at the food in my hand... The idea is to be able to walk her while keeping the leash slack, ie: not pulling at it to hold her back. But you need the food to keep her attention otherwise even a leaf floating by in the backyard is enough to distract her...

I hear ya about the lunging for treats! With Abbey, I have to hold it behind my back or be super quick when using it as a lure. She's getting better though.
    We were actually working on sit-stay today and it about killed her (doing it at meal times) but she finally did get the concept. I REALLY thought it'd never happen. When lunch time rolled around, she got it almost immediately. Guess she just wasn't in the mood to fight with me, being as hungry as she was!

Oh, and thanks so much for the heeling tips! I'm sure Milly will catch on quickly, being the smart little thing she is.

When you first start teaching sit-stay you should do it on a leash and only take 1 step back.. pause and treat. Then take two steps, then three etc....

We have been doing stay with Milly since we first got her... she is 14.5weeks old and she will only this last week stay on her spot if we are in a different room... but give it about a minute and she can't help but follow you. We turn around to her and say "ahh Milly on your blankie" (she has her own in the loungeroom) and she hightails it back there. Then it's sit/stay and out of the room we go again. If we come back and she's still there we praise her and treat lots.

It proved very very useful on the weekend when I went out to the car and our screen door didn't close. I turned around and Milly was on the front step (i am paranoid about her running on the road) I yelled out "Milly stop!" she stopped. Then I said "Milly sit!" she sat. Then I said "Milly!! Stay!" (she wasn't on a lead at all) and she stayed there and watched me get groceries out of the car and didn't move... even though 2 boys on bikes went past at the time.... *phew*!!

We were actually working on sit-stay today and it about killed her (doing it at meal times) but she finally did get the concept.
    Doing sit stay at meal times is a perfect opportunity to teach them to wait/stay. Milly is WONDERFUL at this and I'm not biased. We have people can't believe that a Lab Puppy will wait until I say "ok good girl" before she eats. Fill Abbey's bowl, put it down and make her sit/stay before she's allowed to eat and choose a command word eg "ok" to release her to her food. It really helps with stay in different locations.

I really appreciate the advice. Thank-you.

Abbey learned to rollover today! She was doing great with it this evening. Everyday, before meals, we go through all the tricks she knows, varying the order every time. I'm hoping this will ingrain them into her little brain.

Next, we'll work on heeling...I'll take your advice and start sooner rather than later. Abbey is such a gem and a pleasure to teach. I feel like I'm really starting to get to *know* her... a little more everyday. I can tell she's really bonding with me as well. Every time one of the kids tosses a toy for her, she retrieves it....but brings it back to me and she's always beside me. Except, that is, when new people come to visit, she goes berserk with excitement!

I feel like I'm really starting to get to *know* her... a little more everyday
    I felt myself nodding my head when I read that part. The other good thing is when they seem to get to know you too and understand your routine and moods. I find myself thinking everyday that she was the BEST thing that we've done in ages and wishing I'd been in a situation to get her sooner than I did!!