when can i give my dog a training?

Thread: when can i give my dog a training?

Defaultwhen can i give my dog a training?

when can i give my dog a training? his 2months old now, and i don't know if i can start training him already.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: when can i give my dog a training?

You can absolutely start training now. Just keep it fun and upbeat, with short, positive sessions.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

thanks! for sure i will be needing a lot of patience!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Do you have a guide?

I like Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash," about $12 + S&H from Amazon.

IMO, she has a bit of a chip on her shoulder or an in your face attitude BUT the learning principles she presents are mainstream.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

ask your vet or breeder (if they're local) for references to good, positive reinforcement based puppy kindergarten. Some petsmart classes are good too (but, with any trainer, sit in and observe a class or two before signing up - there is no quality control in the dog trainer industry, so buyer beware.

Two other great books if you are unable to find a puppy k - or even if you do - are Pat Miller's "Power of Positive dog Training" and Dr/ Ian Dunbar's "How to teach a new dog old tricks"

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

8 wks is the perfect start for name recognition and potty training. Keep your sessions VERY short -- the attention span is roughly a hair shorter than a flea's.

We started training Abbey at 8wks and she's doing very well. It's true their attention span is nil at that age, but now, at 10wks, she's totally focused for a good 5-10min at a time. It's really been a bonding experience for us. Good-luck with your little one, they're so much fun...and grow up too quickly!

sarah is offline Senior Member

The best 2 things that we decided to teach Milly at 8 weeks was her name and how to sit. To teach her her name, we would hide somewhere in the house and call her "Milly come here, Milly where are you, Milly Milly Milly" etc.... when she found us she got a treat.

That way it was fun (for ALL of us), aimed at her age, she still got treats and positive reinforcement and she learnt her name in a matter of days.

(This has since developed into a fun game that we still play with her but now when we hide we jump out at her when she finds us and she evens goes and hides and jumps and barks at us when we find her)

But everything we did with her we did no more than 5 times in a row because we found after that we lost her attention - we are now noticing that her attention span has more than doubled and we can spend between 10 - 15mins outside with her doing training and she is almost 4 months old.

Good Luck! It's lots of fun at this age, she'll pick things up so quickly if you teach her right.

cheers
    Sarah

and this is the book that we have which we got when we got Milly: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Lab.../dp/1593370482

(edited to add in book url)
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia