Jumping Jehosaphat......or Parker

Thread: Jumping Jehosaphat......or Parker

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultJumping Jehosaphat......or Parker

What is the best method to stop your dog from jumping up. Parker is now 7 months old and he can jump higher than a kangaroo. I try to ignore him but he just keeps jumping. He jumps when I let him out of his crate, when anyone comes home, and when he's out playing in the yard. I know these are times when he has pent up energy, but I need a solution to make him stop. Could you please give me some advice. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Jumping Jehosaphat......or Parker

Blue was like that. I turn my back on her if she constantly does it.....or I tell her "off" and get her to sit and wait. Then reward her when she does it with a good rub or treat.
    It takes awhile but they do get it.

When dogs jump on me, I grab both their front feet in one hand so they can't get down then quickly walk forward into them (this makes them hop backwards on their back feet) while roughly patting the top of their head. Dogs generally do not like anything about this particular greeting and will soon quit jumping up but you have to be consistant.

For particularly tough cases, you can use the knee in the chest method but this can be dangerous (knock the wind out of the dog or knock him over backwards) so you have to be very careful. I usually use a modified version first where I turn slightly sideways as the dog jumps and use my knee to push the side of the dog.

FYI, dogs jump up because they want to greet you face to face. Sometimes it helps if you bend down to greet the dog but you have to be careful that the dog is sitting and/or controlled so it doesn't suddenly jump up and smack you in the mouth. Take it from me, you will see stars AND birdies (not to mention a dentist) if this happens.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I know alot of people turn their backs, teach them sit and paw as a greet. Dont talk to them as soon as you get in erm in book marley and me i heard he kneed his dog in the stomach :-\. Ive never had a problem with alfie jumping he just never did and we never encouraged it

For particularly tough cases, you can use the knee in the chest method but this can be dangerous (knock the wind out of the dog or knock him over backwards) so you have to be very careful. I usually use a modified version first where I turn slightly sideways as the dog jumps and use my knee to push the side of the dog.
    That is what our instructor told us to do or to walk into their space if they try to jump.It apparently gets them to sit down.

Blue jumps on ppl she doesn't know when we walk.

I am currently sporting a busted lip and nice scratch to the face from my socket LOVELY jump and slap greeting...I been told about a nojump harness....any advice on that?

While there are still times when Potter is full of energy and we're playing with him that he'll try to jump, he's gotten pretty good about not jumping for us. We tried the (gentle) knee in the chest; he thought it was part of playing. Same with the walking into his space technique. The only thing that worked for us was consistently making him sit before he got attention. When we get home, he has to sit before he gets petted (now that he's left out of his crate). He has to sit before treats, dinner, etc. He has to sit before friends/strangers can pet him. We consistently associated good things with him sitting. So now he'll sit rather than jump 99% of the time. Good luck!