Help!!

Thread: Help!!

DefaultHelp!!

Sam is a fantastic puppy but he bites! Well, to be honest I'm not sure whether he means it or not but by God it hurts!! He kind of snarls when he does it, but his tail's usually wagging ??? I keep tinking he wants me to play with him but, when I do he gets more aggressive
    Has anyone else been through this? We're kind of at the stage where we wish we'd got two pups together to keep each other amused. It scares me though in case he won't grow out of it as my two year old daughter loves him and he kind of does it to her sometimes but luckily he hasn't hurt her.

Help, We're at our witts end!! :'( I want my gorgeous little lab back!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help!!

First, Sam's a real cutie. Yes, most everyone's been through this puppy biting stage; it's normal.

When we got Tucker, he nipped so bad, there were times we wondered if we'd made the right decision in getting a puppy...what did we get ourselves into?

Here's what I did (combination of things)....held his muzzle gently closed until he settled, while telling him 'no bite' (it works for some dogs, and not for others...some get even more excited when you do this). And re-directed him, putting a toy in his mouth when he went for our hands or arms, while saying 'no bite'. Once he lost his puppy teeth (about 6 mos. old) the nipping stopped right away.

Now with Tipper, we've only had her a couple of months...we got her at 5 mos. old. She's still nipping some, but it's different. She gets so excited (upon waking up in the morning, when we come home, etc.) that she has to grab onto clothes and hold on while wiggling with excitement. When she does that, she nips at skin (without meaning to). So I'm teaching her to get a toy and put in her mouth (while saying 'no bite'), so she can hold onto/bite down on that while being excited.

A couple of suggestions for Sam....wet an old washcloth or rag, wring it out some, but not all, so it stays very wet; throw it in the freezer. When frozen give it to Sam to chew on. You can wet it again and throw it back in the freezer for more chew sessions (just make sure there are no loose fibers, so he won't eat/swallow them). And ice cubes...both mine still love them, and have fun chasing them around the floor, too. Both those things helped with puppy teeth.

Just watch him with your little girl, so he won't hurt her; he wouldn't hurt intentionally, but he can hurt her with his puppy nipping. When Tucker was nipping so bad, our grandkids would run from him; they were scared of him. ;D

Good luck!

Gosh, I feel your pain. It was only about a month ago I was going through the SAME thing with Maggie! She stayed with my dad for a few days while we were out of town and she came back a total nightmare! She bit and she bit HARD. She's broken my skin on my hands, legs and feet, and believe me it's hard to keep your cool when that happens. It took a while for her to get through this stage but let me tell you what we did. We used the jowl method as suggested by one of the JL members here. What that is is when she bites you grab her lower jaw and get the jowl to be over her bottom teeth. I usually hang on to her jaw for 30-60 seconds. When I let go, if she tries to bite again, I repeat and if that doesn't work I walk away or out of the room. I would try to wear pants and a long sleeve shirt while your dog is going through this stage too..people started to wonder about me with all the cuts on my arms :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do a search on "biting" in this section...you will see many, many pleas for help. Most of us have been there There are great suggestions in those threads.

Thanks for your replies. I can't believe how much fun a puppy can have with a scattered handful of ice cubes across the deck!! ;D after reading a bit further on this forum I realise that its just a phase and we'll get through it
    Sammy's a joy to have about the place, he's just a bit boistrous. One thing I've noticed with him is it seems worse at night, he gets really wound up and snaps at us but If I stand over him and get him to sit and wait he calms down quite fast! Another thing - you can't have enough raw hide chews!!!
    Thanks again everyone

sarah is offline Senior Member

Our Milly is 4 months old and she has torn my partners ear open with her puppy teeth. They were playing a bit rough and it was not intentional on her part, but her tooth got caught in his ear while his head was down, he pulled his head up and then there was blood everywhere!!

We play gentle now, it took for that to happen before my partner realised all my rantings about rough play being not a good idea for the pup especially without a chew toy inbetween his hand and her mouth!! We started screeching at the top of our lungs "oww!!" to get her to stop. It really worked.... the louder the better because it stopped her dead in her tracks and it is supposed to imitate what another pup would do if she bit too hard. Now we just have to say "oww!" in a hurt tone for her to realise that she's been too rough and she understands what "gentle" means as well, that helps ALOT when giving her treats as she used to almost tear your fingertips off otherwise

Your puppy will grow out of it if you are consistent with whichever method you use gets you the desired result. Good Luck
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia