Coming when called

Thread: Coming when called

DefaultComing when called

Ok..here is our new thing...a couple of times...Blue got out the front door and ran down the street....I got down and tried to call her but she just ran away thinking it was a game. If it wasn't for some passerby's to greet..I would have still been chasing her. The only other time she came with me is when I ran the other way and she followed me back to the house. Now we worked on it briefly in class but I guess I need to get a long line and teach her in the back yard and at the park etc. Any suggestions and ideas would and always are greatly appreciated.

I also noticed that she answers to a whistle.

Oh and on a side note, I don't know if anyone remembers me telling you that I was having issues with Blue and my older son but we are turning it around..instead of jumping on him and grabbing his stuff, I make sure that he has ball in the backyard that he can throw with her and she is loving it. I am also telling him not to scream if she does jump on him and to turn around.The jumping on him has gone down considerably and he's interested in walking her on a leash (ONLY in THE BACKYARD). Oh and he comes for walks with her too. It's funny, my other boys want to try walking her in the backyard too now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Coming when called

Quote Originally Posted by momtoBlue
    Ok..here is our new thing...a couple of times...Blue got out the front door and ran down the street....I got down and tried to call her but she just ran away thinking it was a game. If it wasn't for some passerby's to greet..I would have still been chasing her. The only other time she came with me is when I ran the other way and she followed me back to the house.

Chase me is a dog's favorite game. Never get suckered into it. You did the right thing by turning and going in the opposite direction.

In addition to teaching a recall, I'd teach some door manners. A dog should never cross the threshhold until you release them. I've squished many a dog's head between my knee and the door jam to prevent them from rushing out. They get the message pretty quickly that it's safer to wait until I say "ok". Sound harsh? Not really when you think about the consequences of a dog rushing out the door into traffic.

Check out the Best Advice thread stickied at the top of this forum. There is lots of good info in there including how to teach a recall. This is how I teach a recall and still give a dog off leash exercise while they are learning.

The cardinal rule is that you never call your dog to you unless you know they will come to you. That means most of the time you will have to go get him until he has a reliable recall.

You can still play with him off leash but take him some place he will be safe (like fenced backyard, fenced tennis courts or fenced school grounds). Do not try calling him to you when he is off leash in this scenario. You will need to build up to that point gradually but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get exercise in the meantime. When you are ready to go, tell him "last time" When he brings back the ball, praise him, give him a treat, then clip the leash on him. He will understand what "last time" means eventually. Murray will put his ball back in the training bag when I tell him "last time". Last time can be the 2nd or 3rd time I throw the ball or 25 or 30 times.

If you do not have a fenced area, then you really need to keep him on a long line for safety.

When you want to work on recalls, have a long line on him so you can reinforce it.

Recalls take lots of time to teach. My first instructor gave me some advice that stuck. She told me to practice 1000 times in each of the following scenarios (in order):

1) on lead in the house, no distractions
    2) on lead in the park, with distractions
    3) off lead in the house, no distractions
    4) off lead in the park, with distractions

You should also use high value treats for the recall. This needs to be a treat that he doesn't get a any other time. Left over steak or chicken works really well. The only time he gets this treat is when you call him to you.

Also, no matter how trying it may be, never call your dog to you then scold him. Coming to you has to be the best thing in the world. If he comes to you and you scold him, you've taught him that coming to you is not safe.

Once I start teaching off leash recalls, I'll call the dog to me numerous times even during play and give him praise and his special treat then let him go back to playing. I don't want him to associate coming to me with "play time is over."

Thanks..I'm going to do this...I just need to get some longer leads..hopefully I can buy them at either Home depot or the pet store.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You can make your own check cords/long lines.

A few years ago at Lowe's, I found some 1/4" dia yellow polypropylene line (rope) that was hollow on the inside. They had easy splicing directions although you can just tie a knot in other kinds of rope (nylon ties well but polypro dies not).

Put a snap on the end and you can make the line as long or short as you wish.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mombear is offline Senior Member

I am going to start this with Parker how long should the line be for him to learn the recall. He got out today on me and like the obedience trainer told me, run so he'll follow you not towards him. Well sadly I am out of shape and when I did that....he bowled me right over. Guess I best learn to run faster and keep a lookout behind.

I use a 30' line simply because I'm too cheap to buy multiple lengths. The 30' works for what I need for many different uses.

hmm, I'll go to home depot then!!