Jumping on furniture

Thread: Jumping on furniture

DefaultJumping on furniture

> We have a 4 1/2 month old lab who loves to jump on the couches. We pull her down, say "no" or "get down" and she will just run over to the other couch. It's really frustrating. We don't want her to be a couch dog..Any suggestions would be great! ~Candace

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping on furniture

Hi Candace

Do you have a mat or rug or bed that should be the dogs "area" in your living room? You could try to redirect her to that and praise/treat her when she stays on it. We're currently doing this with our puppy who is 13 weeks old. It's taking time but she's getting it... when she's allowed inside she'll run to the bed that we have for her now. Getting her to stay there though is a different thing altogether!! (but we're working on Stay and she's improving)

If you let your puppy on the lounge previously to now it is possible that she is confused with the change of rules. I'd be more inclined to use the command "off" to her when she's on the lounge rather than "No". Then you can use the command "off" when she jumps up on you or guests or is on something else that you don't want her on. She will then start to associate that "off" means to "get off the couch" or "get off the human" I find that with Milly if we use no all the time for different things she was getting confused too. So we chose a word (being off) and we're being consistent with it. And you MUST make a big deal when she's off the couch, lots of praise and maybe a treat. Even sit on her bed/rug with her and play there so she knows that it's a good place to sit?

Hope this helps?
    Cheers, Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

1. Don't let her up in the first place.

~~but since that cat is already out of the bag~~

2. Train and use OFF!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    1. Don't let her up in the first place.

~~but since that cat is already out of the bag~~

2. Train and use OFF!
    That's what we do too, we tell them off, works pretty good, we even have a baby gate up if we're not in the room and that helps keep them out of there, that and the bedrooms their not allowed in, well...the bedrooms they sleep in there with us, but if I'm not home I close the doors so they don't jump up on the beds, every other room they can go in

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think the training to avoid this jumping into the place where people also sit MAY work with SOME dogs but not all.

I sit on the couch, Puff never does but closeby I have a Knoll upholstered "cube" chair covered with sheets and blankets which is "Puff's" chair (when so-covered) and she often uses it.
    (It's very similar but not quite identical to: http://hivemodern.com/products/?view...6&cid=2&cid2=3 )

When we had my beloved Bess, keeping her off the couch was a constant problem -- and Bess was an extremely trainable Lab.

The only thing that worked with Bess to keep her from jumping on the couch was to create physical barriers -- either to baby/puppygate her from the living room OR to line the couch with wooden chairs so that jumping up and lying there was physically impossible.

My beloved Puff has taught me a little more about the ways and nature of dogs.

When we drive to a store and I leave the car, Puff usually hops into the seat I've vacated and waits there, watching for my return. As soon as I return within 5-10 feet of the car, Puff jumps back to her usual position on the passenger seat.

That's quite a contrast to Bess. In similar situations, Bess always jumped in to my (driver's) seat and stayed there even after I opened the door. Every time, I had to physically shove her aside with my hip while complaining and demanding her to move.

Another situation: I frequently type on my laptop sitting up on my bed, Puff nestled by my legs. If I get up to get another cup of tea from the kitchen, or whatever, on my return Puff has usually relocated herself to be on the same position I'd been occupying. And when I return, she moves as she does in the car. (VERY considerate Lab!)

A recent post by "rottnlabs" (in the thread asking who left their radios on for their Labs) mentions a behavior that IMO could be very similar:

Murray has mild separation anxiety so I always leave the tv on. It's mostly just to provide background noise in an overly quiet house. My mom thought I was nuts when I told her I did this. She stopped by my house one day when I wasn't home. She let herself in and sat down at the kitchen table. She looked up into my family room and saw what she thought was the outline of a person sitting on the couch watching TV. Thinking she was alone in the house, she went in for a closer look and discovered Murray sitting up on the couch watching tv. She doesn't think I'm crazy anymore.

I've not seen this mentioned in any of my books on the nature of dogs, canids, wolves, and their behaviors -- maybe it's there but I overlooked it.

But certainly among Labs I've had and my observing others, it seems to me that the owner is usually in the alpha position to the Lab. And when the owner rises and steps away from her/his customary "throne," the dog/Lab next highest in the status hierarchy moves to occupy that physical place until the owner returns.

Owners of multiple dogs would have some pertinent observations about this.

My suspicion is it's somewhat in the nature of dogs to occupy those positions.

IF this is so, then for those Labs (like Bess) with a strong yearning for political advancement (to Alpha), physical barriers may be the only reliable method.

For those (like Puff) where being an "Omega dog" is comfortable -- then training to use an alternate place may have more possibility of being effective.

JMO
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Interesting thought, Bob, about Labs 'stepping up' when they feel the need and then returning to their subordinate positiuon when the chief returns.... Amazing creatures, no?

And for the 295th time, I constantly smile when you refer to Bess and Puff as beloved.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I'll start saying "off from now on.I also think I'll put some chairs in front of the couches too.
    P.S she does have a big dog pillow that she goes to from time to time/ we'll have to praise her when she does..

sarah is offline Senior Member

Hi Candace

I was just wondering if you had made any progress with your puppy and the furniture jumping problem? Let us know how it's going!

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia