e-collar training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-collar training

Defaulte-collar training

Another thread had me curious, we are thinking of using an e-collar on our rottie to help with our training. We are going to go through a trainer that has worked with e-collar on various breeds and is a firm believer in working with whatever motivates the dog (treats, toys etc.) He thinks e-collar will help with some specific problems that we have yet conquerred through obedience classes. Anyway, November we boarded our dog with a different trainer that was to help train with the use of ecollar and gus ended up with wounds on his neck from the e-collar use.

I am now aware the injuries were caused from the collar being on him 24 hrs. Well I wonder, since the collar should only be worn during training how do you keep the dog from being collar wise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: e-collar training

I am REALLY against e-collars... :

Cant u use a choke collar instead??? Instead of taking the risk of getting wounds...After all u already had the experience of ur rotty getting wounds... And ur still thinking of using the e-collar again?...

choke collars are better used

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsina

Cant u use a choke collar instead??? Instead of taking the risk of getting wounds...After all u already had the experience of ur rotty getting wounds... And ur still thinking of using the e-collar again?...

Sorry, Tsina, I don't agree. Choke collars can do trachea damage. Our last Lab developed laryngeal paralysis later in life. I don't think it caused it, but I have no doubt that the use of the choke collar in his early training contributed to the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000
    ...Well I wonder, since the collar should only be worn during training how do you keep the dog from being collar wise?
    The only thing I can think of is to buy a "dummy collar" for the dog to wear when he isn't actually being trained.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

[quote=MicksMom ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsina

Sorry, Tsina, I don't agree. Choke collars can do trachea damage. Our last Lab developed laryngeal paralysis later in life. I don't think it caused it, but I have no doubt that the use of the choke collar in his early training contributed to the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000
    ...Well I wonder, since the collar should only be worn during training how do you keep the dog from being collar wise?
    Oh... :-[ It works on Tsina... But they are better than e-collars right?

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

E-collars are NOT for "training", for one. They are for enforcement of well known rules, and are wonderful tools if used correctly. You do NOT leave ecollars on for longer than the training session. Every time you go to train, however, the collar goes on. When done, the collar should come off.

I much prefer prong collars over choke collars for *most* purposes for the very reason MicksMom states. Too much tracheal injury w/ chokes... Prongs are great for day to day obed corrections, pulling on leash, etc.. however, if you are doing distance work like hunt test or actual hunting, the e-collar is much more applicable since the dog isn't working on lead. The correction level should be no more "pressure" than that little eye opener that the tug on the leash should give. The ecollar is also great for the independent, not very biddable dog that often has to "decide" if coming to the owner when called will give him as good of a reward as doing his own thing..... in that case, ecollars can be magical. ;D

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz
    E-collars are NOT for "training", for one. They are for enforcement of well known rules, and are wonderful tools if used correctly. You do NOT leave ecollars on for longer than the training session. Every time you go to train, however, the collar goes on. When done, the collar should come off.

I much prefer prong collars over choke collars for *most* purposes for the very reason MicksMom states. Too much tracheal injury w/ chokes... Prongs are great for day to day obed corrections, pulling on leash, etc.. however, if you are doing distance work like hunt test or actual hunting, the e-collar is much more applicable since the dog isn't working on lead. The correction level should be no more "pressure" than that little eye opener that the tug on the leash should give. The ecollar is also great for the independent, not very biddable dog that often has to "decide" if coming to the owner when called will give him as good of a reward as doing his own thing..... in that case, ecollars can be magical. ;D
    Hmm, are we twins seperated at birth? LOL

I agree. E-collars are not for obedience training, they are for distance work when it becomes increasingly difficult to correct with a leash or long line.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Amen.

E-collars, IMHO, should not be used by the general public, joe-average dog trainer because the potential for mis-use -- and outright unsafety -- is very great.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

(see usahoe's recent post for a blatant example of dan's statement)

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    (see usahoe's recent post for a blatant example of dan's statement)
    Actually this is the very thread that got me thinking...we are using a pinch in class. The e-collar is to help reinforce commands my dog already know. The trainer we are now switching to was highly recommended and works with behavioral problems. They are awesome, but this comes from other customers as I have yet signed on for lessons from them. My dog is beyond basic obedience but can't get past a certain behavior in class. And the main reason for e-collar is my dog loves to jump the fence. We have him in a dog run now when he is outside and I would love for him to enjoy the yard again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast