Help with Sudden Dog Aggression

Thread: Help with Sudden Dog Aggression

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp with Sudden Dog Aggression

I have had Tundie for 3wks now. When he first came here he was great with other dogs, even submitted to Maiah (whom I was dog sitting) known for putting dogs in their place. No problems on leash.

short story - he will now bark and growl (and try to lounge) at any dog we walk by. What do I do when this happens (proper correction)?
    He is also being a jerk at the dog park, how do I correct this behavior, and give him teh confidence he needs.

Long story -

last week I started trying the dog park. All was well, he played fine with other dogs. On the third visit he started barking/circling another dog but I quickly distracted him adn all was fine.

This weekend we went abit more intense on the dog park (twice a day saturday/sunday). Everything was fine at first. One visit he was put in his place by a few dogs. He reacted fine, submissively. I think this is when it started to go downhill.

Then we run into Enzo (Bernese Mountain Dog) and it's a no go. I do not know who initiated it but Enzo's owner kept walking past the dog park.
    Then the infamous incident with the huge young dog came. I do not think he ment any harm but he was huge and intimidating (he had another dog yelping for awhile just by chasing her) putting dogs on the defensive. I had to leave the park (I successfully distracted Tundie with a game of fetch but the other dog wanted in on the game and it went bad)

Now he is barking and growling at dogs we meet on walks. He goes to lunge as well but I stop it right away. Every dog. Even the calm ones ignoring him.

How do I correct on leash aggression and what do I do about the dog park?

My "feeling" is that this weekend he was put so much on the defensive and intimidated he's fighting back by being the bully first.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help with Sudden Dog Aggression

Have him sit/stay and 'watch me' (reward reward reward) as other dogs go by. If he breaks his stay, move AWAY from the other dog and put him back into a sit.

Head over to flying dog press 's website and read "He just wants to say hi" -I dont recall what happened at the dogpark but if the other dog was being an obnoxious bully, then Tundie was within his rights to tell him to back off (not attacking him and causing damage, but putting the bully in his place)

Thanks
    Ok Tundie is a freak. no problems today. I did keep a treat handy when we were out to do as you said (and managed to work it out a few times) but NO BARKING, no growling, nada. not one peep. he shows interest but in a good way.

Whew. I think he was still frazzled from the weekend. Tundie may have been in his right to tell the dog off (I think he was) but he doesn't lay off once that is done - one of us had to leave and the other dog was not. Their dog was putting off some bad vibes (even if the dog didn't mean to). Another dog at the park was yelping away in fear when he arrived. And this dog is VERY socialized.

However, I am taking your advice (as I should have done beforehand). We are now incorporating abit of obedience in our walks (sit/stay). It's hard since it's new and unexpected at this point but he's coming around. Also harder when you have two big guys and Rocky ALWAYS has to place himself so he takes up the entire sidewalk : I'm having to reposition him which gets Tundie to bounce back up! LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that it takes 24-48 hours for a flood of adrenalin to entirely leave a dog's system, so i think you're spot on - he was still 'high' from the weekend.

Good practice for Rocky to work on his stays too

We learn everyday. I figured Tundie was dealing with being put in his place by the dogs on Saturday quite well but upon retrospect, I should have taken him out of the situation sooner. Sunday he was off and the encounter with freak dog was the last straw. I will continue to work with him and do SHORT visits ot the dog park and keep an eye out for him.
    It was an odd weekend at the dog park for all dogs honestly. a few other dogs (rocky included) were acting completely out of character.

Yes Rocky needs practice! Honestly, I get very lazy with one dog. He's not a major puller so I give him alot of slack. But that bit of slack with another dog causes a head ach! LOL!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Alfie does this he hadnt done it for ages then did it again last night at the park. Im told its his hormones and he is trying it on but ppl look at me as though ive got an agressive dog. Alfie is having the snip in a few weeks so im hoping this helps but in meantime try not to walk past other dogs