Molly the maniac :)

Thread: Molly the maniac :)

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultMolly the maniac :)

If Labs are generally all alike, someone else mustve had this problem. Molly is great in my home...shes fit into our routine nicely, shes smart, she listens.....but when company enters the house....OH MY GOD....

It was my fault, I shouldve known better.....but my cousin and neice came over....I let Molly out of her crate and before I knew anything she leaped up and actually nibble my cousins face. Thats a 5 foot 7 leap.

She is so excited her legs go 160 mph. Then she chased my neice because she ran.....again my fault. Molly jumps up and her front paws go go go go go which ends with the other person leaving with scratches.

To make it worse, my family arent "dog people" I dont want to be the one who no ones wants to go over their house because of their dogs...

So....I ended up putting Molly on her leash....and just focusing on her even though by now no one was coming near her. I sat her down, pattd her back....gave her a treat for being still.....and prasied her for sitting even though she was very much excited. I would say it took about 40 minutes before she calmed down and my niece wanted to take the leash and walk her around the house.

It seemed to work but is this something I have to do everytime people come over?

I took her outside yesterday to meet one of my friends and the first thing he said was "Wow shes wild!" Cause when she sees people.....she cries and goes ballistic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Molly the maniac :)

She needs to learn how to behave around company. Once she does, no more leash needed!

Make sure she gets some exercise before company comes over (as much as possible). For awhile keep her on leash as soon as guests arrive (or as soon as you let her out of the crate) and keep doing what you were doing (sounds like you had the right idea).

A young child running really ups the stimulation. You may want to keep guests calm until she learns OR just teach Molly right away that even if kids run she is to behave. Either way is good (do what seems best).

good luck!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I have the same problem with Mocha even at 3 1/2. It's my fault for not stopping it sooner but until she was 1 1/2 I lived alone in an apartment and rarely had company so I never really had the oppertunity to train her. Even now that we have our house we only have company maybe every few weeks for a short time so they just don't get the oppertunity to practice enough. If I know someone is coming I always leash her and put Zeus's collar on him so I can keep them from jumping at least. Luckily it doens't take too long for them to calm down some though normally only 5-10 minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    I have the same problem with Mocha even at 3 1/2. It's my fault for not stopping it sooner but until she was 1 1/2 I lived alone in an apartment and rarely had company so I never really had the oppertunity to train her. Even now that we have our house we only have company maybe every few weeks for a short time so they just don't get the oppertunity to practice enough. If I know someone is coming I always leash her and put Zeus's collar on him so I can keep them from jumping at least. Luckily it doens't take too long for them to calm down some though normally only 5-10 minutes.
    Shes bonkers with other people. When my neighbors go into their yard, and we're outside, she actually starts running up my fence to get at them.

When Dale was her age, and people came over, he was grabbing their arm and trying to run around with them. But he was so excited he was actually biting down on people.....and his trainer substituted an arm with a toy....so even today if you tap on my front window, a big yellow head will appear, and hell be barking with a rubber chicken in his mouth. When people come in, he doesnt jump up........he runs around, kind of squealing in excitement. So when my cousin came in, I was just like Ignore the big yellow dog running in circles around us LOL

I know it's totally frustrating they say to try to have a neighbor or friend or several come over occasionally just to say hi and get them used to people coming in but that's hard to do sometime. I normally put them in the front room if I just to answer the door so I can let the people in then I'll go leash them up after a few minutes when they have calmed a little bit. Zeus doesn't jump but he's a gooser really bad so I have to watch him too.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

at almost 10 months I still keep Bogey on a leash when people first get here. If not they would be knocked over and licked to death! It getting better so Im sure with training Molly will be just fine.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

If your dog is food/treat driven like mine is, you could try a Kong. My pup does the same thing when people come over but I also have two dogs and unfortunately the one sets the other off. Lately though, when I know people are going to come over, I have put some peanut butter in their Kongs and when the doorbell rings, I hand them both a Kong and they care more about that than the people. I can't say it's perfect but so far they have responded positively. Just a thought.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Milly doesnt jump she just licks everyone's feet people hate that too... I reckon it's better than jumping on them but they think "a dogs tongue that has been licking her you-know-what is now licking my feet eww"

*sigh*
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia