Still Having Accidents

Thread: Still Having Accidents

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultStill Having Accidents

Again needing some house breaking help. Parker is now 7 months and was doing pretty well with his training, was learning to go to the door when he needed to go, had some accidents but was doing better. Now he seems to have regressed. I think it may because I fed him different treats and such, and also the puddles are back in the yard translating to excessive drinking unfortunately. I have bells on the door, but he can't figure out how to ring them to let me know he is at the door if I'm upstairs.

The things I fed him were carrot flavored(?) Nyla bones. I think that might have done it. He eats Pro Plan. What kind of things can I feed him that will not give him mushy poo. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Still Having Accidents

Are your "accidents" pooping, peeing, or both? I couldn't tell from your post.

If it's peeing, it could be because of the lingering scent from past pee spots that call to him -- "here's a good spot to pee, pee near here!"

To counter any scent from pee, use "Nature's Miracle" or OTC Hydrogen Peroxide (3% solution) on the spot and area.

Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) can also be a cause for peeing.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mombear is offline Senior Member

It is both but like I said I think the poo is because of those nylabones as they are mushier than before and there were three of them as opposed to his usual one at this time of day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Hmm...

Have him tested for a UTI just in case. If not, maybe go back to training him like a puppy?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Are your "accidents" pooping, peeing, or both? I couldn't tell from your post.

If it's peeing, it could be because of the lingering scent from past pee spots that call to him -- "here's a good spot to pee, pee near here!"

To counter any scent from pee, use "Nature's Miracle" or OTC Hydrogen Peroxide (3% solution) on the spot and area.

Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) can also be a cause for peeing.
    I agree with the UTI also.

Champsmom is offline Senior Member

I'd have his urine checked for a UTI. You said he's drinking excessively. Drinking and peeing alot could be a sign of diabetes or kidney disease.

The mooshy poo could be from the nylabone they can also cause obstructions so I tend to avoid them. Have you tried a frozen kong with just some pb on the ends to block them then some moistened kibble in the middle. That should be mild enough to not upset his tummy but keep him busy for a bit too. I also use mashed potatoes in their kongs as it's pretty mild and freezes solid I normlly put a treat inside that takes longer to get out.
    Is he making the messes in his crate or when he's out but your not around him? If it's in his crate try your best to take him out more. If it's out of the crate in the house either crate him or teather him to you when you can't watch him 100% so you can catch him before he goes or correct him right away and take him out.