Always looking for food...

Thread: Always looking for food...

DefaultAlways looking for food...

Abbey is on Puppy Chow but is being transitioned over to Canidae (currently 50/50). She is being fed 3/4 cup - 3x/day and is fed at 8am, 1pm and 7pm.

The Puppy Chow bag says to feed:
    1-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups for age 1.5 - 3 months (51lbs-100lbs predicted adult weight)

Canidae says for puppies up to 15lbs feed: 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups TOTAL/day.

She is constantly still looking for food within 2hrs of eating. We've never fed her between meals, so it's not like she was treated once and is now looking all the time.

She was 11lbs at 7wks 1d and today is about 12.25lbs (7wks 6d).

Does her weight gain seem fine? Should I up the amount she's fed? This is going to confuse me because I should be feeding less on the Canidae. No? She's going to think she's starving if she only gets 1.5cups/day!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Always looking for food...

Relax, my dog is 15 weeks old. He gets fed the right amount of dog food, he gets his fair share of treats from the training that I'm doing, and he eats unlimited rabbit droppings in the back yard. For some twisted reason he loves that. He also eats bark off the tree in the back yard. The point is, dogs are food driven. They'll try to eat anything that smells good to them, and they're always searching for more food. Don't worry about it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

What is the kcals/cup of each food?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    What is the kcals/cup of each food?
    Yanno, I did check this once and it wasn't a huge difference like I thought it'd be. It was something like 431 kcal/cup for the Puppy Chow, and 475 kcal/cup for the Canidae.

Anyhow, we had a vet visit yesterday and she is steadily gaining 2lbs/wk and looks "good."
    3/4cup 3x/day is at the upper end, for her weight, as per the Canidae bag. We'll continue to keep an eye on her and weigh her regularly.

Just keep in mind - she is a Lab - they would eat 24/7 if permitted (most of them anyway). You don't want her to get much bigger than about 80 lbs. Very few females would be any bigger (if that big).

sarah is offline Senior Member

Milly is almost 4 months old and she gets 2 cups of her kibble a day (total) and a chicken neck plus a few treats here and there and she would eat constantly if we let her. When she comes inside the first thing she does is hoover the kitchen floor for food then makes her way into the lounge room and then down to the rest of the house, last stop is the bathroom where she tries to find water on the floor for a quick drink! ONLY after that routine is she content to sit on her bed or play with us and her toys.

We ignore the food begging eyes and ignore the constant checks of her bowl for more food.... if we didn't she'd be huge by now!!

I think your puppy actions are normal. We were also told by our vet that if Milly puts on more than 1kg (2.2pounds) per week that she is putting on weight too quickly which can upset their bone growth and cause problems so we are very aware of that and limit her food to doggie food only and if she does get snacks to chew on they are usually carrots or another low calorie vegetable.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia