Another Housebreaking Question

Thread: Another Housebreaking Question

DefaultAnother Housebreaking Question

Odie is almost 15 weeks old now, and I've been house training him for almost 3 weeks. He still doesn't go to the door to notify me that he needs to go out, but because I keep track of time he hasn't had any accidents in the house in over a week. He goes outside and does his thing immediately given that there arn't a ton of distractions (ie: other dogs, car doors slamming, etc..)

My question is, how long should I continue to reward him with food for going outside? Do I just stop cold turkey, or just ween him off slow? At this point he totally expects a piece of cheese every time. He comes looking for it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Housebreaking Question

There'll probably be a variety of opinions on this but mine is that since it's working well for both of you, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" So I'd say keep with it until it's not only a new habit but an old rut.

I do suggest finding some valued treats other than cheese. Puppies have lactose tolerance when young but as they get older, that usually disappears and their intestines can become methane gas generating plants.

Other possibilities are small pieces of raw (or dehydrated) banana or apple (or most any fruit EXCEPT grapes or raisins); nickel-size (5¢) slices of hot dog, sprinkled lightly with garlic powder, then nuked in a microwave enough to set the powder; an "Animal Cracker" (cookie); small piece of jerky; or a few pieces of regular kibble are all good.

You might, while you're in the training process, teach your pup to pee and poop on command.

Actually, pooping on command isn't often possible because to poop requires enough "ammunition" and that ammunition also must be loaded into its proper position in its "firing chamber." Peeing is a lot more easily accomplished -- everything is at the ready and in place.

To train this, observe your dog's posture just before the peeing starts. As soon as you see that posture and while the peeing is taking place, give your command. Mine for Puff is to say, "Puff PEE-PEE! Puff PEE-PEE!....(etc.)"

Similarly, observe the characteristic posture just before and while pooping and give a similar command. Mine for Puff is to say, "Puff Potty! Puff Potty!....(etc.)"

When either act is accomplished, give praise & treat.

After about a week of these pairings (command, act of elimination) the command will gradually become a conditioned stimulus to the elimination reflex.

With my Puff, saying either to pee-pee or potty results in her almost immediately peeing.

Telling her to potty when I know it's her time (I'd never ever do it otherwise) often seems to hasten the act into occurring so we don't have to spend 15 minutes walking outside for her to make up her mind whether she wants to do it or not. And sometimes results in an almost immediate response (within 5 seconds).

So I suggest you continue and add these to your training.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Sounds to me like the dog has trained the human, rather than the other way 'round.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Some dogs catch on quicker than others and will let you know. Some have suttle ways of telling you too so watch them really close. One of my dogs used to come rub against your leg when they wanted out.

ok, once again nobody is really answering the question

I'll answer the question! You should never housetrain a dog with food. When it goes outside and does it's business you should praise like you just won the lottery. Not long ago someone had probems with the dog not wanting to go out anymore because it learned that the kitchen was a treat factory. Stop giving food treats for housetraining. Be consistant with taking your dog out. Sounds like you are doing that just fine. Not all dogs learn to go "knock" on the door when they want out. Some just have a routine and it's something you have taught them with a feeding schedule, your schedule and your home atmosphere.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'll answer the question! You should never housetrain a dog with food. When it goes outside and does it's business you should praise like you just won the lottery.
    If not giving a treat works better -- hey, stick with it.

If giving a treat works better -- hey, stick with it.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I would quit giving a treat every time now. Maybe do 2 out of 3 for awhile. Then every other time. Just like when you train to do a trick--after they know the trick real well, you quit treating every single time.