How did I end up so lucky?

Thread: How did I end up so lucky?

DefaultHow did I end up so lucky?

I've gotta tell ya, Abbey is a dream. She is only 7.5wks and things are going much more smoothly than I had anticipated. I was thinking the worst and am now being pleasantly (shocked) surprised.

Day 1...she woke up during the night many times, but no crying
    Day 2... she cried (read TANTRUM) most of the night but I kept to a 3hr pee schedule, no accidents
    Day 3...slept from 10pm 'til 4:50am, not waking or crying once and no accidents!
    Day 4...slept straight from 9:30pm 'til 6:15am, no crying, no accidents!

She is only 7.5 wks old! I can't tell you how proud of her, and amazed, I am.

I want to make sure I do things right from the get-go, so she doesn't know any different. It really is paying off! She doesn't chew on anything but HER toys and whatever else I allow her to chew (like pop bottles). She has attempted to mouth things, but I was on her like white on rice for the first 2 days and now she knows what not to chew. She sleeps with a blanket in her crate, which is not partitioned off, (so she has lots of room) and she has never chewed on her blanket or soiled her crate.

Also, when she potties outside, I just stand at the door and she runs out, does her business, and runs back in. She knows EXACTLY what she's supposed to do out there and wastes no time! It's cold ya know!

All in all, I'm loving her to pieces and she's awesome.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How did I end up so lucky?

Congratulations!! They're marvellous, aren't they? -- and some more marvellous than others.

A favorite book of mine to recommend on dog training is Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" because it is mainstream on scientific learning principles and covers most training situations. While it's written with a tone that some find off-putting, nevertheless it's accurate and useful. You might read these reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

Someone in the other thread you started recommended "clicker training" and gave some references. I wish I could use the clicker method but I'm so used to a reinforced treat model and my timing is not precise and accurate enough to use clicker training effectively.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

It's early yet just wait
    No really she may just be an easy puppy some are much better than others. Mocha slept through the night her third night home too she was 7 1/2 weeks when I brought her home.
    I'm sure she'll have her moments but it sounds like she's off to a good start.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Forgive me for saying it but......

Just wait a few weeks!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion Bob Pr! I'll be checking it out. I've got such an open mind right now, I can here the wind blow through it! LOL

And regarding the "just wait"... I know, I know, LOL I was thinking the same thing right after I hit the post button. What a way to jinx myself. I'm going to go back to thinking the worst, that way there are no surprises.

HAHA I think the same thing right now. Koda sleeps in her crate, is House trained, does not chew furntirue or shoes or anything she is not suppose to, she is really perfect.....I am waiting patiently for the "teenage" part soon and then I expect all hell to break loose LOL

sarah is offline Senior Member

And regarding the "just wait"... I know, I know, LOL I was thinking the same thing right after I hit the post button. What a way to jinx myself. I'm going to go back to thinking the worst, that way there are no surprises.
    Milly was great too. She cried the first two nights and then we figured out that the only reason why was because she had to go pee and didn't like doing it where she slept. We changed her sleep routine from being confined in her crate out to our external laundry with a fenced off run (all incorporated together) and the crying stopped. She'd wake in the middle of the night and take herself to the grass and back to bed - she is only a toy chewer as well and we've had her a month and 4 days and she's only had 2 accidents in the house. The first was my fault cause I didn't realise she had to go and the second was because we had visitors and she got a little too excited. She knows to house rules, we've been consistent and firm and she's wonderful!

Maybe sometimes some puppies are just too good to be true!! I keep waiting for the shoe tearing and the destruction but it's yet to come. But we tire her out in the mornings before work with playtime, I come home at lunchtime from work to have lunch and we pack our shoes and belongings away so she can't get to them. Voila! hehe....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia