Training "Drop It"

Thread: Training "Drop It"

DefaultTraining "Drop It"

I've posted about this before, but nobody actually answered my question. Odie has absolutly no problem bringing the ball back. My problem is he won't let it go. He wants me to wrestle him for it.

Somebody suggested to trade him a treat for the ball. Now I have a new problem. He goes and gets the ball. But when he's running back to me he drops it half way back and runs the other half without a ball towards me looking for a treat.

Every time I throw the ball I say the phrase "get the ball" When he drops it short on the way back, I tell him to get the ball and he goes back to the ball picks it up and drops it in the same spot, and then comes looking for a treat. How do I train him to bring the ball all the way back to me and then drop it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training "Drop It"

I've posted about this before, but nobody actually answered my question. Odie has absolutly no problem bringing the ball back. My problem is he won't let it go. He wants me to wrestle him for it.
    We've been doing fetch with Milly. She does the same thing, she'll get the ball and bring it back but then want to wrestle. So what we've been doing is this:

Get her attention, throw the ball and say "Fetch" she'll get it, bring it back and then we hold it and she wants to wrestle. We then say firmly "Give" she at first didn't recognise what we wanted so we'd take it firmly while saying "Give" then praise her lots. Then repeat until she'd give the ball willingly. She's not dropping it for us yet but at least she'll give it up without struggling or trying to wrestle. The other thing we found is that treats just do not work with her for Ball Retrieving. In her mind, the food is of higher value than the ball so it's useless. The only way she'll play "Fetch/Give" is if we make it fun and don't do it for too long. She's really improving though and we only had to take the ball firmly for about 4 goes for her to get the idea. The other thing we did is use a squeaky ball.. she loves anything squeaky so it holds her attention for much longer.

I hope you find this reply useful and good luck!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Do you normally have the treat out and waiting for her to get back. If so try keeping it in your pocket or put away until she brings the ball all the way back. If she doesn't no treat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Do you normally have the treat out and waiting for her to get back. If so try keeping it in your pocket or put away until she brings the ball all the way back. If she doesn't no treat.
    Still didn't work with Milly. Even if you don't show it to her after th 1st time then she knew you had treats and would sniff until she found which pocket they were in and then won't do fetch / give at all. So no treats for this training for us unfortunately.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    Still didn't work with Milly. Even if you don't show it to her after th 1st time then she knew you had treats and would sniff until she found which pocket they were in and then won't do fetch / give at all. So no treats for this training for us unfortunately.
    keep trying. your dog will learn that in order to win the treat, something other than nosing your pockets must be done. don't forget to keep it light and fun and short. you could help your dog learn by rewarding small steps towards the goal. walk over to the ball, point at or touch it. when your dog shows interest in the ball. say, "YES!" and give a treat. wait for your dog to do it again. give another prompt if needed. repeat and reward until you get a consistent reaction, then increase the criteria for what your dog has to do it earn the reward.

you'll see your dog use their brain and try different things in order to figure out the game. dogs love to play, so if you can turn training sessions into a fun game, using food rewards won't the the only thing the dog will be working towards, although when you use food rewards right, it can help motivate your dog to do things they wouldn't normally do on their own.

eventually, you'll get your dog to realize that the only way to win the reward is to bring the ball to you and either drop it at your feet or into your hand. with many repetitions, you can faze out and completely remove food as a reward, because by that point, there is a lot of positive and fun associations with retrieving. your dog will become hooked and love retrieving for the sake of retrieving. remember to be consistent. try to have good timing in your communications, and don't be stingy with your rewards. set your pup up to succeed as much as possible, so you can reinforce them as often as possible.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd try making sure that there isn't any alternative but success initially.. if you have a hallway, start close to the end of the hall. Toss the ball toward the wall, the dog will have no choice but to get the ball and bring it back to you - there's no where else to go. Reward, and repeat. When you've got a reliable retrieve to hand 3 feet from the wall, move back 2 feet. etc.