Crate as adults or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate as adults or not?

DefaultCrate as adults or not?

Hi all!!!!!!!!

Ok. The trend right now seems to be crate questions so here is mine. When do Labs reach a maturity level where they can be somewhat trusted to have the livingroom to themselves? I really don't want to crate her for the rest of her life, even during bed time. Right now it provides a safe and secure place for her when she is sleeping and while i'm away. Although they are not a guard dog and I dont intend to raise a guard dog it MIGHT act as a deterent to a potential robber. Also, my other dog has the room to himself and it would be nice if they could be together. So my question is, how and when do you wean them off the crate? Yesterday I left the house and peeked through the window and she just laid down on her bed and did not seem anxious when I left. After a few minutes I entered the house and she did not jump on me or anything. I guess this is a good thing.

Anyway, im expecting to crate her for a year or so, does that sound right?????

Any info would be great.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate as adults or not?

Depends on the dog. My 4.5 year old graduated from the crate at 7 months old...but I exercised him a ton before I left and he was a good boy. My 1 year old on the other hand, well, I just don't see him graduating any time soon. He can't be trusted for 10 minutes sometimes let alone all day. He loves his crate and it's never a problem...but too many chewed trim boards, clothes and blankets have proven that he is a chewer and I'd rather crate him to keep him and my stuff safe.

There are people on this board that have older dogs crated for the same reason...and I crate all of my fosters irregardless of their age.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Your girl is only 4 months? I wouldn't even try it yet. My Frankie just graduated from his crate about a month ago, and he's gonna be 3 on the 30th of this month.

It all depends on the dog really. I definitely wouldn't try it yet though if I were you. It's too dangerous for her. She's still a puppy and puppies will get into trouble when left unsupervised.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wow that's good 7 months!!!!!!!

Good job! I hope my dog turns out that way

Yeah, I guess if she is a chewer it might have to be a permanent thing :'(

Thanks.

Well I dont plan on it yet but I was just curious. I watched her the whole time. That's funny everybody calls it "GRADUATING", I guess it's a proud moment for the parents and the dog I guess it's a problem due to the slow maturity of the lab.

Again, thanks for the replies.

It really does depend on the dog. Mocha was crate free at about 12 months with a parole violation that landed her back in there for another few months at about 1 1/2. (she ate the carpet on the stairs). Since then she's been great though she's 3 1/2 now. Zues we got when he was about 1 1/2 we crated him for maybe 2-3 months before trying to let him out. Mocha was never much of a destroyer though while Zeus likes to chew a little more. He's been good though and hasn't had any parole violations...lol

OMG the stairs!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the dog have a stomach full of carpet? My other dog is a bichon so I dont have experience with chewing. Do they actually eat this stuff or just want to shred? The snow is now melting in the yard and she is discovering a whole new world. Leaves, small pinecones, grass you name it. I find it just as or more difficult to watch her outside

Another vote for "depends on the dog".

Henry was crate-free at night when he was 2 (but in our bedroom with the door closed) and not crate-free in the house during the day while I'm work until he was almost 4.

That said, I still have his crate up and he'll go in and out as he pleases.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    That said, I still have his crate up and he'll go in and out as he pleases.
    Our crate -- after almost 8 years -- is a fixture in the kitchen. Wes has free-range of the house, but he'll still nestle in there to nap. And it's a good place to tuck him when the front door is propped open and we're carrying in 295 bags from the supermarket.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Shane just turned a year old and we still have his crate in the living room. That is where the dog bed is that Clarence sleeps on. We no longer crate Shane at night and haven't since he was about 7 months old. I've left the crate up because I still put him in it when there is nobody in the house. I'd like to take it down one day too, we're just not ready to do that yet.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast