Invisible Fencing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible Fencing

DefaultInvisible Fencing

I have been thinking about installing an invisible fence in my backyard. My backyard is fairly large (about an acre) and I think it would be an ideal way to contain my Lab. Right now Sonny is only 14 weeks old and he is primarily going to be a house dog. But, I would like to be able to let him have the backyard during the day, while I'm at work.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with invisible fencing?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Invisible Fencing

Um, invisible fencing is not ideal for unsupervised use. It's great when you can be close by, but it's not going to contain your dog when they catch a scent or give chase to a prey animal. I would say no for allowing your dog "the backyard while you are gone." Only for use when people are around.

Too many stories of dogs breaking through and getting hit, killed or stolen.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thanks Dani......thats a good point.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I'm w/Dani. Too many bad stories to use one confidently, unless you're out there all the time w/the dog. People have been known to cross the borders, take the collar off the dog, and drag him/her off. And dogs have been known to creep just close to the fence to get a repeated lo-level nick, ride that slight reminder until the battery drains itself, and be off.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Don't forget that while your dog would not be able to get out, people and other dogs/wild animals would have no trouble whatsoever getting in. You don't want to risk that especially when you are not there. That is an accident waiting to happen.

I have no experience of electric fences but I personally don't like the idea of training with electricity. What about fencing off a section of your yard for your dog? then when he has a reliable recall you can have him loose when you are out there interacting with him. Providing your yard is not near any obvious dangers -- roads, etc.

I had not considered other animals being able to get in. We live in a neighborhood that does not allow any type of visible fencing, so that option is out.

Right now I'm walking the yard with Sonny and sternly correcting him if he crosses into another yard. This seems to be working well for right now.

I'll be rethinking the invisible fence.

Thanks.

I agree with the others regarding having your dog outside when you're gone to work. It's just not safe.

We have had an invisible fence for the past 10 years and LOVE it. We have 1/2 acre and we installed it ourselves when our lab/border collie dog was a puppy. We followed the directions for training and took our time and he trained very easily and he rarely got a correction. He would be running full speed for a squirrel and stop before his boundary! We live on a busy highway and we felt very secure with the fence. However, we were always outside with him when he was out for a long duration. I will say he went out by himself early in the morning for a pee/poop once we knew he was trained.

We adopted a 4 yr lab last April and his training was a bit tougher as he was an adult dog. It's taken considerably more time and effort, but he's finally got it.

I encourage you to look into invisible fencing. For us, it was one of the best investments we made regarding our dog. We've got young kids and it can be difficult to keep a close eye on everyone, the fencing is a tool to help us keep our dog safe.

Chris.......may I ask what brand you went with?

hey- we have the pet safe system. It's been very reliable - never broken down, except when we ran the rototiller over the underground wire! Oops, we fixed it and it's worked fine for 10+ years.

Hi all I have the invisible fence system that works great. They have figured out the bugs you could say my dogs love the freedom it gives them 2 of my 6 acres to run and play. They have never gotten through the signal field even with my wife's very taunting cat Mollie walking just on the outskirts so the dogs can't get her!!! lol There are plenty of deer and rabbits as well. The deer have figured out that the dogs can't get to them either they used to hall a.. across the field now they some times stand around and tease. I do agree that it does a great job keeping them in but it won't keep others out. WWW.INVISIBLEFENCE.COM is the web site, I think they are all over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast