crate issue.

Thread: crate issue.

pross1492 is offline Member

Defaultcrate issue.

Hi everybody. Thanks for all your advice on my other posts.
    Sadie is 8 months old and she has always been good with her crate. She sneak away to go sleep in her crate like some dogs do, but she will go in without any fuss when i ask her to. and when she knows i am leaving the house she will go in voluntarily. when i come home she is usually sleeping away or chewing on a bone. and she never darts out when i open the door or seems unhappy with the situation at all. BUT, if i put her in the crate while i (or anyone else) is in the house, she whines and whines and even yelps. her crate is upstairs in my room and sometimes if i have guests or clients over, i have to put her up in her crate for a bit. she will not cooperate at all. she goes in just fine, but once she figures out that i havent left the house and there are people around, she freaks out. it also happens when i visit my sisters house. i will put her in her crate upstairs in the guest room because i have a 1.5 year old niece who isnt all that stable on her feet and Sadie will knock her over and just generally go nuts when the baby is around. so i will put her up in her crate and she will whine and yelp.
    has anyone else had a similar problem--the pup is fine with the crate when she is left alone, but puts up a fight when there are people in the house? any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: crate issue.

Hmm... maybe try feeding her meals in her crate while you're home? Or, putting her in her crate with a stuffed Kong while you're home? You don't have to put her in there for long.

Vary the amount of time she's in there, with and without guests/clients in your home. You may need to enlist the help of friends to be your guests.

My guess is that she just wants to be with her people. In reality, this is not always possible, so her crate should be a good chill-out spot for her (it sounds like she's comfortable in her crate anyways).

Hope this helps somewhat...

Good luck!

ETA: another thought... what about moving her crate to your living room (or wherever you're entertaining)? That way she can feel like she hasn't been abandoned, but is still not underfoot?? ???

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well of course she's going to throw a tantie. She wants to be with her people! I would say you need to work on her being with other people in the house...my boys are excited at first, but settle down really quickly....and they love kids...they have kids crawling all over them. So, I would recommend working with your dog to be out with others, or in a situation where you have clients, exercise her thoroughly before you know they are coming over and then put a frozen kong or marrow in the crate with her and shut the door and ignore her. She's a lab...labs love to be with their peeps.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pross1492 is offline Member

thanks for the advice.

yes, she's a lab. she's also part german shorthair pointer, which, from what ive read, will make her even MORE of a people person (err, dog).

i think you guys are right, she probably needs more practice with it. maybe ill move the crate to the living room during the day so i can put her in there now and then to get her use to being in it with people here. i think when she is in her crate up in my room she is just dying to come down and see who is down here and what is going on and whether or not they want to play.