Pic of our Abbey, and I have a few Q's too.

Thread: Pic of our Abbey, and I have a few Q's too.

DefaultPic of our Abbey, and I have a few Q's too.

We picked Abbey up yesterday, at 7wks. Little butterball.
    Yesterday went well, she had 2 small piddle accidents (I caught her in the act both times and rushed her outside). The accidents were around 9pm last night. I think it may have had something to do with the weather. It was crazy windy and FREEZING out all day, but it really got bad last night. Poor thing. She learned, pretty quickly, where the door to the "inside" was and would run there as soon as she was done. It got so cold that she would have a hard time relieving herself because she was shaking so bad (Manitoba weather). So I'm thinking she wasn't fully relieving herself outside?

Here's a pic of little squishy face. LOL

My questions are...how often should a 7wk go out to pee?

Last night it was 10:30pm, 12:30am, 2:30am, 5:30 am and 8am. I'm having a hard time deciphering "want out" whines from "pee" whines. All her piddles have been small, so I'm not sure if I should try waiting a bit longer between trips.

Also, I would like to have Abbey tethered to me a little bit throughout the day so she can be out longer, and supervised, but she chews the leash. How do I get her to stop chewing it?

How much scratching, itching, chewing is normal? She gnaws on her feet and tail a tiny bit and scratches some. Not sure what a "normal" amount of scratching would be.

And I read on here about someone using an empty 2L as a great toy for a pup...you were SPOT on!! She loves that bottle more than anything! THANK-YOU!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pic of our Abbey, and I have a few Q's too.

Hello to your Abbey from an Abby owner here! Yours is very,very cute!

It will be quite some time I think before you'll be able to decipher want out whines from I have to pee whines. As for the frequent urination, have you had her to your vet for a check up yet? You may want to make sure she doesn't have a UTI, but if I can remember properly, they do pee every few hours in the beginning. At least I seem to recall always being outside!

You'll get many viewpoints on this subject, but when Abby was small, I took up her water after 7 p.m., to eliminate the extra pees in the middle of the night. So instead of going out 4 times like you did, I think it was twice. One member will hazard doing it because it caused their pup a UTI, but mostly the rest of us have all done it and been quite fine. It depends on how much water they have access to during the day, imo. My dogs always have water during the day.

As for the itchy and bitey feet, what food is she on? Knowing you are in Manitoba and still under a lot of snow, I don't think it will be environmental allergies as such just yet. My Abby liked to chew her feet before we eliminated corn out of her diet. You're little one's nose looks a bit dry, it may just be from the dry air this time of year.

She's very cute though!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Thank-you SO much! Your advice is very much appreciated!

No, Abbey hasn't had her very check yet, I'll make sure to ask her vet about it as well. And yes, both her nose AND paw pads are dry. Manitoba = hot, humid summers and cold, dry winters! Yuck!

Today has been a great day. She does pee a lot, but I've managed to keep taking her out frequently and realizing that she pees a lot more when she's hyper.

She is on Puppy Chow, the evil of all foods. We're going to keep her on it for a week or two, depending on how she's doing, and on her poops. I've got a small bag of Canidae, chicken and rice, that I wanted to try her on and we'll see how it goes. I'm not too excited about any one brand, just as long as it's a decent food.

She has been doing great here and I'm surprised that she hasn't cried for her family! And Her BMs are normal! No stress diarrhea....do you think it'd be ok to slowly start switching her over to the Canidae, maybe next week?

May I ask...how do they take a urine sample from a puppy? Is it all about timing? LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

While I feed Canidae to my two, I'm not sure that I would feed it to a pup. You might want to research some large breed puppy food.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

mombear is offline Senior Member

Not that I'm an expert but I feed Parker who is now 7 months Pro Plan for large breed puppies. I wish I'd have started it sooner he does so well on it. I'm sure if you're not supposed to feed him that this young, one of the pros on here will let you know. Like I said, I'm also a rookie at this lab owning stuff. Also my pup loves small water bottles, so much so that he tries to get it while I'm still drinking it. They love that crunching sound I think. Mine will run himself silly throwing it up in the air, crunching it, etc. Your pup is so adorable.

I'm still new to labs, but I can tell you what I've experienced in the last 2 weeks since I got Odie. I got him at 12 weeks, and I literally took him outside every half hour, except when I was at work. It's cold here and it sucked, but housetraining is a manner of repetition. The more often the puppy relieves himself outside and is rewarded and praised, the quicker the process goes. Odie started houstraining exactly 14 days ago, and he hasn't had an accident in the house in 4 days. I'm sure the process isn't done, and there will be more accidents, but I think the more often you take her outside, the better.

Odie also used to chew on his leash. But just like when he tries to chew on anything he's not sopposed to chew on, I bluntly say "no" It's all about your tone of voice. And they'll stop, when they realize that behavior doesn't please you. Dogs want to please you. They don't speak english, but they understand your tone of voice and body posture.

Quote Originally Posted by mombear
    Not that I'm an expert but I feed Parker who is now 7 months Pro Plan for large breed puppies. I wish I'd have started it sooner he does so well on it. I'm sure if you're not supposed to feed him that this young, one of the pros on here will let you know. Like I said, I'm also a rookie at this lab owning stuff. Also my pup loves small water bottles, so much so that he tries to get it while I'm still drinking it. They love that crunching sound I think. Mine will run himself silly throwing it up in the air, crunching it, etc. Your pup is so adorable.
    Pro Plan really does seem to be the dog food of choice amongst lab owners. I may have to look into it before trying out the stuff we bought. How much is Pro Plan in relation to Canidae? I think I remember seeing prices at 2 different stores. I think it was $49.99, for a huge bag, at one place and $39 at the other.

I may have to try a small drinking bottle, I'm sure Abbey would get a kick out of the crunching as well! She's too little to squeak the squeaker in her big Wubba, and it's her only toy that makes sounds....so far! I think she'd love it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoper50
    I'm still new to labs, but I can tell you what I've experienced in the last 2 weeks since I got Odie. I got him at 12 weeks, and I literally took him outside every half hour, except when I was at work. It's cold here and it sucked, but housetraining is a manner of repetition. The more often the puppy relieves himself outside and is rewarded and praised, the quicker the process goes. Odie started houstraining exactly 14 days ago, and he hasn't had an accident in the house in 4 days. I'm sure the process isn't done, and there will be more accidents, but I think the more often you take her outside, the better.

Odie also used to chew on his leash. But just like when he tries to chew on anything he's not sopposed to chew on, I bluntly say "no" It's all about your tone of voice. And they'll stop, when they realize that behavior doesn't please you. Dogs want to please you. They don't speak english, but they understand your tone of voice and body posture.
    Thanks for the advice! I gotta remember she's only 7wks old. In her defence, she's doing pretty good. As soon as we step outside she does her business and gets the heck outta dodge. LOL Brrrr

Abbey is really good about not chewing things that she's not supposed to. It's no wonder, really, I follow her around like a bad shadow the entire time she's "free." The leash has been harder, I think, because she *feels* it and it bugs her. Something she needs to get used to though.

Congrats on a beautiful pup!