My dog got bit, so of course I have a couple of questions!

Thread: My dog got bit, so of course I have a couple of questions!

DefaultMy dog got bit, so of course I have a couple of questions!

We had unseasonably warm weather yesterday here in St. Louis, all the neighbors were outside just hanging out together, me and my dog included. The neighbor across the street decided he wanted to bring out his weimaraner too. Not a problem with me, until his dog latched on to my dog's mouth and wouldn't let go. We managed to get them separated and after checking my dog over I noticed she had a small gash in her lip. It didn't bleed very much but it looks like it could use two to three stitches. Due to a hectic rest of the afternoon I was unable to get her to a vet. I did clean the area out with peroxide and goopped it up with Neosporin. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at this point, but I plan on continuing to keep it clean and keep using the Neosporin. Another neighbor mentioned shaving the area, which I thought was a good suggestion. Is there anything else I can be doing? I figure the vet won't stitch it up at this point because of possible infection.

All of the above leads me to my next question, which is: Is there a proper way to introduce two dogs to each other, both of which are on a leash? Even though my dog was the one bit the "beat myself up over what happened" personality that I often adopt has me wondering if perhaps I was the one at fault for the bad encounter.

I feel bad for my puppy (worse for a family who has a small child and crazy weimaraner) and I know she will be OK, just thought I would get some other's feedback on this as well.

thanks
    JAJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My dog got bit, so of course I have a couple of questions!

Only thing i can suggest is dont do it so they are facing each other walk them together side by side so they can only see each other through the corner of their eyes...may release a bit of head on negativity

DefaultRe: My dog got bit, so of course I have a couple of questions!

Yes! In hind sight, I thought maybe I should have stayed a safe distance away until both dogs had calmed down a bit, as opposed to just letting them immediately go to each other. This was one of the reasons I posted and one of the reasons I was laying some of the blame on myself. (Let it be said that I am not trying to fingerpoint here as to who's fault it is, but after it happened I thought everyone could maybe learn something from my experience) If anything I hope others read this thread and just learn to be a bit more cautious than I was when having dogs meet for the first time.

Thanks for your comment. Please keep them coming!

JAJ