Dogfight every day, Need Advice ASAP Please
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogfight every day, Need Advice ASAP Please

kjustiss Guest

DefaultDogfight every day, Need Advice ASAP Please

For the past year, our lab has been living peacefully with a Wheaton Terrier, in fact they have been wonderful playmates. They are fed in the morning and evening at the same time, but in separate rooms because the lab of course eats as fast as he possibly can and the Wheaton eats at a much more leisurely pace. Once both dogs are done and allowed back into the same room, they typically race to the other's bowl to lick the non existent remnants of the other's food.

Now that has changed. When they are both done eating and are allowed in the same room, they go at each other, with the lab being twice the size, he dominates. One eats inside the house and one eats on the porch. We have tried taking one out the back for a while and one out the front for a while, but once they meet again, they fight. Five minutes later, after the fight is broken up, they are pals. And this is only a problem with breakfast and dinner. If they get a treat, they can both sit and wait for the treats without a problem, in the same room, no problem. This fighting is serious, they are known for play fighting quite a bit, but this is fighting, leaving puncture wounds. To my knowledge there was no event that triggered this change. I don't know what to do. Its a problem with food, but why only breakfast and dinner and not treats? I'm so confused, I hope someone can help.

We are taking them to the vet to rule out any health issues that could be causing this. What else should we do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dogfight every day, Need Advice ASAP Please

That's strange Kathryn, especially since you haven't changed anything.
    I hope you can figure it out soon.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

What are the ages???

Maybe a power struggle is happening. I have a 7 year old bichon frise and a 3 month old black lab and the bichon is definetly letting the lab know her place. They dont bite eachother however, the bichon will bark (small dog syndrome) and growl at the pup. The puppy just simply wants to play and the bichon just wants to relax. The dogs are fed in the same room and the bichon gets fed first, goes outside first and gets treats first. The dogs need to know that you are incharge and not them. They need to set their own ranking system and you are the TOP DOG of the pack. If the older one is getting bugged to death and growls or whatever don't punish him or her. If the younger one is the culprit, let him or her know that they are in the wrong. If the Older dog is going out of his way to start something that dog needs to be adressed. I am going through that right now and seems to be working fine for me. However, with aggression it is recommended to seek a behaviourist, dont go at it alone.

Hope this helps!!!!
    GOOD LUCK

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

After your vet visit I would call in a behaviourist (make sure to get references and accreditations, find someone experienced in aggression). This is not something that can be addressed over an internet forum.

Good luck.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kjustiss Guest

The lab is 9 and the Wheaton is 4. They have been fine together for a year...now this. I don't know which one starts it.

Just talked to Barkbusters in the area, $850 to come to the house, evaluate and supposedly come for as long as it takes to fix the problem. Going to call around and see if there are other options. He is actually in the Tampa/St Petersburg FL area. If anyone has a recommendation, I'm all ears. This is really scary for them to behave this way.

Hi!!!

I just remembered that I saw a show on the "SLICE" channel called " At the end of my leash" or something like that. And this couple had two pug-crossed dogs that were not compatible and really aggressive with eachother, ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear, at the end of the show it wasn't the same dogs. It was crazy!!!! The dogs were well trained. The dogs listened to the owners and even the owners were amazed at how well behaved the dogs were. During One test they left the front door open and the two dogs were in the doorway (the host was there to make sure that the dogs were safe) and the goal was to leave through the doorway and go around the house and come in the back. The dogs actually stayed in the doorway with the door open and watched as the owners went out of sight. I could not believe that the dogs were so well behaved!!!!!!!! The trainer had a dog to demonstrate how a well behaved dog should act and the stuff this trainer did was amazing,for instance, he would leave the dog on one side of the street and tell the dog to STAY. Next he would cross the road and make sure it was safe. Once on the other side he used hand signals to get the dog to COME. To avoid a dog that just ran across he also trained the stop on a dime while crossing. Anyway, try and find the show or just look online. I live in Toronto so I don't know if you have access to that channel?

I guess it does not matter what you pay for training, VET bills are not cheap :-\ And you wont have to make the difficult decision of giving one up

I found the show for ya!!!!

http://www.slice.ca/Shows/ShowsPage....itle_ID=105200

Quote Originally Posted by kjustiss
    The lab is 9 and the Wheaton is 4. They have been fine together for a year...now this. I don't know which one starts it.

Just talked to Barkbusters in the area, $850 to come to the house, evaluate and supposedly come for as long as it takes to fix the problem. Going to call around and see if there are other options. He is actually in the Tampa/St Petersburg FL area. If anyone has a recommendation, I'm all ears. This is really scary for them to behave this way.
    I have heard baaad things about barkbusters. :-\ Call your local SPCA and veterinarian's offices and ask who they would recommend.

"At the end of my leash" features a man named Brad Pattison, whom any trainer/behaviourist worth their salt will tell you that he is a joke. :
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Why is he a joke?

Does he cheat or something? :

I found the show was great. I guess whatever floats your boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iloveblacklabs
    Why is he a joke?

Does he cheat or something? :

I found the show was great. I guess whatever floats your boat!!!
    If screaming at dogs and using inappropriate training techniques "floats your boat", then feel free to listen to him.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

I'm using that ONE show as an example!!!!!

Im also not telling her to call BRAD to fix her problems. Give your head a shake : What's good for you might not work on other situations or dogs. Don't be so full of yourself. Are you the PERFECT dog owner???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast