Just Labradors banner

Puppy Arriving in 8 days

773 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tundra Aries 
#1 ·
I have a question and hope you all can help. I will be welcoming our new arrival in 8 days and of course will be crate training. This is our second lab. My current is a 3 yr old choclate and was crate trained as well.
He no longer is in his crate during the day and hasn't been since he was 8 months old.
Should I crate him during the day when I'm gone as well as the puppy? Or leave him to his normal routine?

#2 ·
Look forward to pics of the new puppy :)

We have a 3 yr. old lab, and just added another about 4 weeks ago..she's not an 8 week old pup, but was 5 mos. when we got her. She's crated during the day when we're gone (for awhile yet), but not Tucker, our older. He just goes about his normal routine, and we've had no problems with one crated and one not.

#3 ·
Djc1249 said:
Look forward to pics of the new puppy :)

We have a 3 yr. old lab, and just added another about 4 weeks ago..she's not an 8 week old pup, but was 5 mos. when we got her. She's crated during the day when we're gone (for awhile yet), but not Tucker, our older. He just goes about his normal routine, and we've had no problems with one crated and one not.
ditto that here too. We got Rookie at 8 weeks and he's been crated ever since (he's over a year now)....and he'll probably continue to be crated....he's got a horrible issue with chewing stuff that isn't his while I'm gone. ;)

#4 ·
I agree with the others. Tucker was 4 when we brought Frankie home. Tucker snoozed on the couch all day while Frankie was crated. You really don't want to upset the older ones' routine.

#5 ·
I just brought home a 8 1/2 week old puppy this past week. Today is the first day that I have left him alone. His is crated and our older lab has the run of the house. I couldn't imagine him being in a crate. He would freak out. I just hope that the puppy doesn't get too freaked out by being in a cage all day. We do have a walker coming over to let them out during the day. Good luck with puppy. They are soooo much fun at this age!

#6 ·
Thanks for all the advice!
I was leaning towards leaving my 3 yro lab to his normal routine and with all your input will leave him to his normal routine.
Puppy (Mason) will not be crated the entire day. I will leave for work at 6:45, and my 18 yr old son will be home at 10:45, and my DH comes home at noon and then I will arrive home at 3:30. So he will probably only be crated 4 hours maximum, and maybe an hour or two in the afternoon while my son goes to the gym.
That's what we did with our current lab and it worked out great.
Thank you, again for everything!

G
#7 ·
jzgrlduff said:
I agree with the others. Tucker was 4 when we brought Frankie home. Tucker snoozed on the couch all day while Frankie was crated. You really don't want to upset the older ones' routine.
That's what we did when we brought Tundra home, it worked out great that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.