Barking in Crate

Thread: Barking in Crate

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBarking in Crate

I just brought home our new puppy on Thursday. He will be 9 weeks old on Sunday. He is doing good at holding his bladder at night & we are learning what his different wimpers mean. However, he wakes us up around 4 in the morning and wants to go outside. He does his business but once we bring him back in the house and put him in his cage he screams and yells for at least a half hour after. What can we do to stop his yelling. He has toys in his crate, but he wants to play with us and at 4 in the morning all we want to do is go back to sleep. Please help his late night fits are driving us crazy. Thanks!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Barking in Crate

Ahhh the joys of puppy ownership...He's a puppy and he wants to play. He doesn't understand it's 4 in the morning. Is the crate in your bedroom. If not that may help. He is still very young and you have a long way to go. Patience, Patience, Patience.

I have found that Odie will cry in his crate for a short time if I put him in it, and walk away out of site. Like if I'm taking a shower or getting ready for work. But at night he never makes a sound because I move the crate into the bedroom and he can see/smell me. I also never put any toys in the crate at night. I want him to distinguish the difference between playtime and bed time

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Where is the crate?

The crate is currently in the living room. We leave the door open & he goes in and out of it all day long.

JustineNYC Guest

I dont know if this is mean or not, but Molly was a little better in her crate at night when I covered her, kind of like how youd cover a birds cage. As long as she could see me laying in bed, she carried on (I had the crate in my bedroom)....and the covering was kind of the sign of 'Ok its night time now, time to shhh'

Every dog is different. Some dogs will quiet if they can see you, some will quiet when they cant. In my case it couldve been that I had a dog in my bed who wasnt her. She was still in the room though.....and now that she holds her pee all night, she sleeps with me in my bed.......and the dog who used to sleep with me, sleeps in HER crate. Go figure.

He did much better last night. We got up twice and both times he barked once or twice but then was quiet. My husband let him out the second time & when he came to bed I thought he let Cooper out of his crate. He said that he was in his crate & we were completely shocked. I think he was really tired because we were outside most of the day. We will try it again today.

Hey!!!!

I know what you mean. My pup gets up at about 5 am and sometimes cries a little. I have a routine of going to bed at about 10 pm - 10:30 pm and I set my alarm at 7:00 am. I ignore her while she is in the crate at night and when she gets up in the morning. The second night we had her she had an accident in her crate. I put all the blankets in the wash so she does not smell pee on them. I also washed the bottom of the crate with SOX spray to get rid of the smell that only she would be able to smell. I make sure not to sleep like 10 hours or whatever and I make sure that before bed she completely drains her self out bladder and energy I play with her and try to keep her up at least one hour before bed and that way she can sleep comfortably without having to pee so bad. Also, I noticed that when she plays hard before bed, goes inside and relaxes for about 10 minutes she is so tired she usually sleeps in my arms all the up the stairs and in the bedroom. For the last few days she goes in the crate and struggles to stay awake. She is quiet and drained out when she goes to bed. Also, I feed her at about 7-7:15 am and feed her again at about 6:30-7:00 pm for dinner with treats during the day ofcourse : I went to the pet store and got a rubber disc that you can put treats in or a little kibble. It gives her a little snack before bed, keeps her busy and she wont starve in her crate(I DONT PUT THE DISC IN THE CRATE). This also prevents speed-eating for breakfast and you wont have to worry about BLOAT. I still have to stay almost perfectly still in my bed and if my I make eye contact with her she might cry a little. So far I am impressed with how easy it was to crate train my little girl. Concistency really paid off and patience, something I didn't know how much I had until now with the new pup.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!