Still pooping in crate HELP!

Thread: Still pooping in crate HELP!

DefaultStill pooping in crate HELP!

I've had Odie for almost two weeks. During the first week he only pooped in his crate on the first day after being left in there for an hour. After that, he didn't do it again for 7 days. I figured that he had learned that pooping in your bed isn't a good idea. But Odie has pooped in his crate every single day this week. My sister comes over and lets him out twice while I'm at work. She has never found poop in his crate. I always find it when I get home from work. The time between when my sister last lets him outside and the time I get home from work is about 2 1/2 hours. I know for a fact that he can hold it longer than that. During the nite he can hold it for up to 5 hours.

Has anybody else ran into this problem? I'm hoping it will correct itself with time. I could see him pooping in the crate if he was left for hours on end, but considering he was fine for the first week, and now he's doing it every day it concerns me. It's now becoming routine to bath a poop covered dog and clean out a crappy crate. I'm sick of it. Any advice is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Still pooping in crate HELP!

How old is Odie?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

how big is the crate?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

does he poop during the day when your sister takes him out? He is getting out yes, but he may not be pooping
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

It's great your sister comes to take him out during the day. Does she feed him at any time? I would really need a little more information to help.

I will venture to say that you have a very young puppy and miracles don't happen over night. Alot of people are under the misconception that a dog won't go to the bathroom where he sleeps unless he really really has to go and most of the time that is true, however you have a very young puppy and depending on where you got him and how he was kept will make a difference. Puppies from pet stores basically learn to go to the bathroom where they sleep because they don't have a choice. Some of them can be very difficult to re-train. Some people think that sticking their dog in a crate is an automatic "he's housetrained" because I keep him in a crate and that's where he sleeps. Not so. Your puppy will get the hang of it but unfortunately it does take time, a strict feeding routine and consistancy when it comes to taking him out, where you take him to go and many many many baths.

Hang in there!!!

Odie is about 14 weeks old, his crate is just big enough for him to lay down and turn around. And he is pooping when my sister lets him out. My sister is all pissed about it because sometimes she stands outside with him for 20 minutes before he poops. Like I said, he has anywhere between 2 and 2 1/2 hours before I get home, and he poops in the crate every day. My sister does not feed him anything but a small treat for doing his business outside.