gentle lead?

Thread: gentle lead?

Defaultgentle lead?

Maggie is 4 months old now and is getting really strong! I have been trying the walk the other way when she takes off, or just standing still until she calms down. It doesn't seem to work at all for her. She just pulls and pulls and I feel bad, because she chokes herself! :-\ Would it be okay to try using a gentle lead collar for her? Or is she still too young?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: gentle lead?

I tried the gentle leader with Baloo, but he hated it. I kept using it for about three weeks, thinking he would get used to it, and he never did. Our walks were no fun for him.

I found this worked much better, both for his pulling and happiness:

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I too used the GL on Henry when he was younger. He would shut down completely, head and tail would droop and his spunk would disappear.

We have the Sense-ation harness now.

ETA: here is an interesting article on head halters (GL, Halti etc):
    http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I also used a Gentle Leader "head collar" for awhile.

My Puff didn't like it but wasn't as turned off by it as many dogs (maybe 1/3 easily adjust to wearing it, 1/3 have big issues but grudgingly tolerate it, and 1/3 have so many personality changes and reactions that the owners stop <or should stop> using it). My Puff was in the middle group.

I suggest using Gentle Leader's "Easy Walk" instead. It's a body harness. MUCH better, MUCH greater acceptance.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I'll second the gentle leader "Easy Walk" harness. It looks is a lot like the Sense-sation harness - with the leash clipped in front of the dog, rather than up on their back like a traditional harness. Champ is a very well behaved dog on the Easy Walk (not so much on the flat buckle collar, but we're working on it ).

Our training club told us not to use the head harnesses (halti, gentle leader) as they've been shown to cause neck and spinal problems. I found articles online to substantiate this previously, but didn't bookmark them - but a quick google search should find more info.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Better, IMHO, to teach a prope HEEL. See the Our Best Advice sticky.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I have to use a GL on my oldest dog, as I'm sure she has tracheal damage from her puppyhood from being tied to a tree from before we got her. Any kind of collar on her causes her to wheeze, plus she has no regard for any pressure on her neck. I'm not comfortable with a collar/leash combo on her for that reason. She does great with it.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Thanks everyone! I've decided to try the sensation harness for her, I think she will accept that much better than something on her face. When I think of having something around my nose and chin, it would make me freak too, so the harness feels much better for me to put on her.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I use the GL on Saba and at first he had issues with walking with it, but he learned and now he lifts his nose up when I "dress" him to go out. The only problem is that he has developed a bump on his nose where the GL sits.
    So reading this thread, I think I'll try the front chest harnest and see how that works. He's 95lbs so if he pulled... I'd be hugging the sidewalk!