Puppy Bone/Muscle Development and Long Walks

Thread: Puppy Bone/Muscle Development and Long Walks

Finalyst is offline Member

DefaultPuppy Bone/Muscle Development and Long Walks

Hello all,

I have a quick question for you on taking my pup for a walk. His age is shown in my signature. I think I read somewhere that you should not take your dog on long walks until he/she reaches the age of 6 months. What are your thoughts on this?

Can I at least take him for a walk around the block? My wife and I have been refraining, but I thought I would ask for your opinion on the subject.

What is considered acceptable at his age, and when can we go all out with taking him on runs?

Also a bonus question, our pup has that wavey hair along his back. I've seen labs that have straight hair on their back. I'd like to get it to where it's straight. Is there a way to do this (brushing perhaps?) or will it always be wavey? I've tried using the rubber brush, I forget what it's called but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The usually accepted JL rule of thumb for exercise is 5 minutes of vigorous exercise a day for each month of age (up to 12 mos.). Vigorous is like offleash running, swimming, etc.

But Labs differ a lot and IMO the best way is to "read" your Lab. If bored, if into 1 mischief after another (like mine was as a pup) then sometimes 2 periods of that amount of exercise a day (widely spaced) may be needed (like mine did).

Re: the wavey fur on the back -- that's genetic and common to many Labs, IMO black ones especially; on some it runs from neck to tail, on others it's just in a few areas on the back.

Enjoy and treasure it.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Awwww... I LOVE the wavy hair on our Miko's back.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Bob is correct on the minutes per month of age - walking around the block is absolutely fine.

The wavy hair is a GOOD trait. Straight hair often shows up with a more sparse coat. My chocolate had wavy hair as a youngster - and sadly it is gone now that he is an adult. His coat is very straight and shiny - but not a true correct Lab coat.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

My youngest is 16 wks old, and has 5 labs from 8 mos to almost 6 yrs to romp with on 5 acres. To me, free romping (as long as it doesn't get too rough) is the best exercise for youngsters. Once mine hit ~5 mos, and have a good recall, are swimming well, etc, they are allowed on group offlead walks. We start w/ about 1 mile and soon work up to 3. I've had all OFA good/excellent ratings w/ clear elbows come back in the past 10 yrs or so despite sometimes having to close my eyes to some of the play around here. I do believe the better conditioned the pup, the more they can withstand should they do the unspeakable and jump off the 2' retaining wall, etc.

By the way, Kiku has very wavy coat, and I love it! It is the nicest puppy coat I've probably ever had here. Anne

Finalyst is offline Member

Thanks for the advice. About the hair, I thought the reason some of the dogs have wavy hair is because they are groomed that way. Apparently not, which is ok. BTW- my sig pic is already out of date, he's getting huge!

Also regarding the walks, that is a relief. I was under the impression we couldn't take him out for another 2 months. I think we'll take him to the big part this weekend and just let him run free.

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultexercise area

My wife and I both work. She was off for the summer but will be going back to work within a couple of weeks. I have two labs, one of which is a 6 month old puppy.

I have kennel within a fenced in back yard. The kennel is approximately 6' x 30' the fenced in area is about 40' x 50'. My plan was to leave the puppy with the 7 yr old blk lab in the larger 40'x50' area. I just started doing that this week. That gives the puppy room to run and play but is that too much space. Should I seperate the two and put the puppy in the kennel that is about 6'x30'?

Does allowing the puppy to stay with the older dog all day long, impact my ability to train the dog? I am trying to train the dog for hunting and hope to get at least a sh title on her. we bring both dogs in when we are home at night and I work with the puppy one on one in the evening.

Any thoughts about the exercise space and amount of exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My hunch is that would be okay for most dogs. Does your adult Lab get enough exercise and training and time with you to not be bored? Or dig out under the fence? I think the pup and the adult would have a good time playing together in the larger area.

Others may have direct experience with similar arrangements and have other suggestions.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748