Just Labradors banner

Children walking dogs

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  TangerineFizz 
#1 ·
I have two girls 11 & 13 and my oldest is doing all the work when it's their turn to walk the dog. My little one is around 100 lbs and uses the excuse that she can't handle the dog by herself. I know she managed him fine in the store as we tested out the new no- pull harness. She's notorious for playing the 'I'm too little card' for getting out of doing stuff.

I'm so used to fighting with her to do things (clean room/homework) that I may be unrealistic about her being able to walk the dog yet. I'm just feeling bad that my older daughter gets saddled with more of the dog care.

An added question. How much time do you spend on average walking your dogs each day? I think Shea probably needs more then he's getting. He gets a daily 30 early morning and then occasionally another 20 - 30 min in the afternoon. I can't tell when he's not had enough because he'll eat something he normally wouldn't ...coughshoescough

oh and he's about 10 months now.

#2 ·
I don't have kids so I can't help you with that...

As for the walks per day...I rarely walk my boys. It's never good solid exercise for them. They never get tired out. So, we usually go to the park across the street and have a long retrieving and running and romping session..in the summer they swim daily...a walk for my boys would be just a "warm up". occaisionally we do walk...and it's a nice change of pace...but they'd prefer retrieving.

#6 ·
Every dog is different, as far as what kind of exercise they need to tire them out. As Dani said, her boys need hard retrieving - walks don't work for them. My two boys on the other hand, aren't big on retrieving. They get 3 walks a day, morning is only about 10 minutes...lunch is about 30 minutes, and another 15-20 minute when I get home from work. That's all they need to poop them out!

#7 ·
I would probably not trust an 11 year old with Mocha she's only 65 lbs but if she decides to go after something even with her easy walk harness on she can almost pull me over. If using a gentle leader type head collar I might let her but even then I would not let her go alone.

I think the amount your walking is fine but she may need some other exercise in additon to it. Walks are great dicipline and getting them out and about and they need to learn how to walk on a leash but most of the time it doesn't really wear them out. Fetching for 15-20 minutes or a offleash romp are generally much more tiring.

#8 ·
Thanks all for some good advise. My 11 year old wouldn't be by herself, she'd still be with the 13 year old, but not riding her bike around in circles with no responsibility of her own. I took Tangerinefizz's advise and had her in the back yard playing soccer after school. The dog loves his soccer ball and nothing is better then when we kick it for him to retrieve.

When the grounds aren't a big mud fest I'll be back to taking him to the dog park several times a week where he can wrestle and run until he's exhausted. :) Last week with the heavy rains I debated taking him despite the mud and found the park 1/3 under water. :p Luckily for Shea I keep a racket and tennis balls in the trunk and we spent some time in the public B-ball courts. My yard is a mud/slush fest :'(

Thanks again for the advise.

#10 ·
I think having the 11 year old play soccer with him is a great idea! Our yard is a mosh pit right now too yuck!

One thing to caution with the basketball/tennis court is it can be very hard on their paw pads and can cause tears in them as well as it's not good on the joints. I did this with Mocha a lot not knowing better but I have seen dogs since with torn paw pads so you just might want to keep the sessions short if you need to do that or try not to get him really amped up so he's not going full out and back for the ball stopping quickly on the hard surface.

#11 ·
My kids dont walk my dogs...they are my dogs so me and my husband walk them plus if the dog saw something and charged for it no child would be able to hold the dog, control the dog or anything so its just best if its left to the adults. I do let my eldest who is 6 hold penny my terrier when we are in a safe area but i dont let them out on their own with them.

Walking..alfie gets 30 mins at 7am another 30 mins at 10.30 and about an hour in the afternoon...i know he is tired as he is well behaved lol

G
#12 ·
I'm not too keen on children walking dogs without adult supervision. I'm not certain that the average eleven year old is developmentally ready for that level of responsibility. I think exercising the dog in the safety of the back yard is a far more reasonable expectation. :)

#13 ·
I um... :-\ just love the utility panties. *smirk* Where's the doggie pick-up bags?

Honestly, thanks for all the good words of advise. Also, big thanks to bacatherine as I didn't think about the courts being hard on his tootsies.
Today I made it easy on everyone and let my husband take him out.

#15 ·
I think that having the kids play fetch or soccer in the backyard is a great idea. I want to warn you to please be sure if the kids (even the 13 year old) are walking the dog on their own to please be careful. If the dog gets excited, can he pull out of their hands? I know my 8 month old pup is hard sometimes for me to hold if he sets his mind that he wants to see something or someone.

Quick story: Almost 4 years ago. My oldest was 4. Neighbor had an 8 month old golden puppy being walked by their 12 year old daughter. Puppy saw my family playing in the front yard, pulled out of the 12 year old's hand and ran for my 4 year old. Dog was only playing, but 4 year old just sees a large dog charging her. Turns to run. Dog knocks her on concrete. Gave her terrible road rash on her cheek, nose, head (could have left scars, but we were very careful for over a month treating it properly) as well as hands, knees, etc. Daughter now has a fear of dogs. It has gotten better since we got Jonah 6 months ago (Daughter is now almost 8). But for a few years was known to literally have panic attacks when seeing a dog.

So my request, please be sure your children can have absolutely control. If there is a chance dog can get away or pull the leash out of their hands, please don't leave the walking up to them.

#16 ·
Rowan is about 75 pounds and if she decided she was 'going' somewhere then my oldest at 9 wouldn't be able to hang onto her..... ( Bentley isn't out 'walking yet. And Rowan hasn't been either since he came home in January)
I don't let my kids walk the dogs ~ when they are teenagers and more responsible and the dogs are a bit older ... they will be given the chance.. but right now.. no!

#18 ·
Maybe I'm an exception to the rule, but I did and was walking our two siberian huskies daily at the age of 11. But then, I was and am a brute apparently.

I think only you know your kids, and your dog, and can judge that accordingly. We had my stepson walk our dogs when he was 11, but one at a time, and I never worried, but mostly because I knew they were good walkers. Now my 11 year old nephew, he's a different story - I wouldn't let him do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.