growing: when does it stop?

Thread: growing: when does it stop?

pross1492 is offline Member

Defaultgrowing: when does it stop?

sadie is growing up nicely. she is a happy and healthy (almost) 8 month old old lab mix. she was steadily gaining weight for the first few months we had her, but about three weeks ago, she stopped at 40 pounds. she's a german pointer mix, so she will ultimately be thinner and lighter than a pure lab, but thats not what im posting about. my question for those who have raised puppies is this: when do they stop growing and have you ever experienced a time when the dog stops growing for an extended period of time before they are done? i know she probably has another 15-20 pounds left to go. she is pretty lanky and although she is tall, she still needs to fill out. she has no problem with eating or exercise. she seems to be perfectly healthy otherwise. just curious if this is something i should be concerned about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: growing: when does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by pross1492
    have you ever experienced a time when the dog stops growing for an extended period of time before they are done?
    Yes. Potter stopped noticeably growing around 6 months and started growing like a weed again around 8 months (so right where Sadie is). I'd say he probably gained another 20 pounds in that second major growth spurt.

As long as she's happy and healthy (and your vet isn't worried), I'd say you're good to go!

Dani is offline Senior Member

She'll stop growing taller (up) around now. She'll continue to fill out until she's about 14 to 18 months...is she already spayed too? That may make a difference in when she fills out too.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pross1492 is offline Member

yes, she is spayed.

thanks for the responses.

Mocha pretty much stopped at 7 months then filled out a little more over the next 3-4 months but didn't really gain much weight after 9 months.