Biting: I need to vent...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting: I need to vent...

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultBiting: I need to vent...

WHEN DOES THE BITING STOP??!! OMG I seriously can't take it. My first dog was bitey as a puppy, but Remy has brought it to a whole new level. He's going for the face! You can't get near him. Even training is a pain, literally, because I go to treat him and I practically lose a digit. I've tried the holding the mouth closed thing...he just comes back at you harder. I've tried the closing the palm around the kibble and not releasing until he stops biting...not working. I'm trying to teach targeting for class and I can't get him to do without biting my hand. You can't hold him...one cuz he's a squirmy bugger and doesn't want to be held, but he tries to bite you. I have to crate him when my husband gets home from work so he doesn't ruin his dress pants.

I have another dog who unfortunately is taking the bullet for us...he's all over her like white on rice. But its not teaching him bite-inhibition...she's fighting back...I've seen her with his ear in his mouth and him yelp a little...but he does not back down....NO FEAR in this one.

Oh, boy...I have a handful. I am not enjoying his company at all. Any suggestions? Anyone?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Biting: I need to vent...

damn, sounds like you got yourself a little butt-face. Oscar is just over 3 months old and he is still biting, but has been getting better recently. When he bites I just yell "OW!" or "STOP!" and ignore him for 10secs-1min. He's slowly gettin better.

sarah is offline Senior Member

How old is Remy? Milly is just starting to bite your face during playtime and she's almost 10 weeks. We stop playing and ignore her until she settles down but it's tough going.... and i'm sure she'll get worse before she gets better.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

He's almost 13 weeks.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I have another dog who unfortunately is taking the bullet for us...he's all over her like white on rice. But its not teaching him bite-inhibition...she's fighting back...I've seen her with his ear in his mouth and him yelp a little...but he does not back down....NO FEAR in this one.
    Let the two of them play until they tire themselves out. That's what they are doing - playing. We all call it "bitey face" around here. My two do it (they're 7 & 3). I'm puppy sitting for my sisters 4 month old Golden Retriever and she sounds like your Remy. She's all over my 3 year old like white on rice, but he loves it and it is teaching her. It looks like they are hurting eachother, but I promise you they are not.
    Oh, about the treats. I was scared to give the Golden any treats because she would practically bite my fingers off each time. My husband told me to put the cookie in my palm and hold my palm out to her while saying firmly "nice". Works like a charm!!!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ohhhh boy.

I am so sorry.

I feel your pain.

MiaBuddy saw your post and sent me over here to give you a pep talk. :P You see, what you have is...well, Angus.

Listen. I know *exactly* what you're going through. I could have written that post. I probably did write something very close, about a hundred times.

Angus was so bad that I:

1) once climbed on top of the couch and screamed in sheer terror for Kevin to come and get him.
    2) wore heavy leather gardening gloves for more than a month. Angus was not allowed out of his crate until I put on the gloves.
    3) received piteous looks from coworkers and family because my hands and forearms were always torn to shreds.
    4) dreaded coming home because I knew he would be there, just waiting for me.
    5) nicknamed him "the mongoose" because it was like trying to live with a wild animal.

It's funny now, but I cried on a regular basis while it was going on. I mean bawled. He was the devil on four legs.

Now he's three years old, and what a beautiful, wonderful gem he is. I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I, too, had another dog before Angus. Crash. Crash was born to live with people. He just seemed to already know everything. He never, EVER bit me. OMG. That would have been completely unheard of! He had perfect house manners, never broke anything (in spite of his name), and was the subject of adoration of all who met him.

It is a rude awakening, isn't it?

Well, I tell you what I think about when it will stop. I really think that with a dog like Angus, there wasn't much to do except wait and let him outgrow it. I tried everything you're trying too, with the same results you're getting: It only served to ramp him up even more. I stopped short of hitting him over the head with a two by four, but I'm not even sure he wouldn't have interpreted that as a "game." :

The thing about dogs like this is they are very, very physical (obviously), and also very, very smart. Angus' one saving grace, the thing that kept me from killing him , was that he was absolutely whip-smart. It was astounding. It still is. He could learn anything new in just a few minutes. And, as it happened, when we were training was the only time he was really being "good" and not trying to eat me. So we did a LOT of training. Pretty much whenever he was out of his crate, we were doing something. Had to. Otherwise, he would make up a game. His favorites were "BITE HER HANDS!" and "BITE HER ARMS!" :

The only thing that ever worked for us, and this is what I would recommend to you (someone has already mentioned it above): IGNORE. Do NOT do anything physical. As you have seen, it only makes it worse. Do not yell, or scream, or get upset. Just turn your back, fold your arms and remain silent. Now, when I would try this, Angus would just jump on my back and bite the backs of my arms, so be prepared that even this may fail. In that case, to the crate for a time out. Repeat as necessary.

It may seem like they are spending a LOT of time in time out. :-\ I felt horribly guilty about Angus spending so much time in the crate, but in the end, I had to save my skin (literally).

It does stop, eventually. Angus was well on his way at about a year. I know that's a long time. :-\ It may go more quickly for you!

The other thing I recommend very highly is to channel that energy into something productive. We have "high drive" dogs who really *need* something to do. Properly channeled, all that energy and intellect can be turned to everyone's advantage! If you haven't already (can't remember if you are doing this), enroll in a training class. Prepare to be embarrassed. But trust me, if you stick with it, you'll end up with one smart little cookie! ;D

We would have several ten minute training sessions over the course of the evening. Now, we are down to one fifteen minute session and that seems to be enough. We just finished, and he is resting contentedly at my feet while I type, happy to have earned his treats for the night.

I wish you the best of luck, nerves of steel and the patience of Job!

ETA: I just re-read and saw you are in a training class already. That's awesome! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Great advice...I might add...maybe wear long sleeves?

I second that, great advice and also try to wear long sleeves and jeans! It helps! I always wear a sweatshirt and jeans when I'm playing with Maggie.

Maggie went through a phase last month that was very close to that of what your going through. She would bite me every second she was out of the crate. The worst was when she jumped and got my lip, that was almost a breaking point for me. What has worked for us is the jowl method, although it isn't the easiest to do because it hurts me too. When Maggie bites we grab her bottom jaw with our hand and get the jowl over her bottom teeth so as she's biting she's feeling it on her mouth which causes her to release, not to mention it doesn't feel too good for her either. We hold on for 15-30 sec, whiles saying NO BITE in a firm tone. Then we get up and walk away from her and ignore her for around a minute. If she does it again, we repeat the whole thing. This seems to be the ONLY thing that will calm her down. Sometimes I feel like all we do is behavior management and no play! I hope this helps, hang in there!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by map1986
    When Maggie bites we grab her bottom jaw with our hand and get the jowl over her bottom teeth so as she's biting she's feeling it on her mouth which causes her to release, not to mention it doesn't feel too good for her either. We hold on for 15-30 sec, whiles saying NO BITE in a firm tone. Then we get up and walk away from her and ignore her for around a minute. If she does it again, we repeat the whole thing. This seems to be the ONLY thing that will calm her down. Sometimes I feel like all we do is behavior management and no play! I hope this helps, hang in there!
    There's your answer there. Use the oppty to redirect, too, teaching that although it is NOT okay to bite you anywhere, it IS okay to lick. So verbally correct the biting and praise the kisses.

NO BITE!

Kissy!

Good Kissy. Good dog!

get a sour apple spray and put it on your arms, i wouldnt put it on your face. If he goes after your face have the spray and spray him with it, its very sour and will stop the bitting of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast