So this might be an odd question but...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So this might be an odd question but...

DefaultSo this might be an odd question but...

what do you guys do about your male pup...

humping?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So this might be an odd question but...

humping you? Verbal correction and redirection to another activity (I'd also be looking at how much exercise, physical and mental, he's getting.)

humping other dogs? If its in play, I'll hump you and you hump me, back and forth, I'd ignore it. If it's obsessive, he won't relent even when he's told to bugger off by the other dog, then I'd end the play time immediately (but I think your pup is very young, and this latter scenario is very unlikely)

humping inanimate objects? wouldn't really bother me unless it was obsessive, and again, increase his physical/mental exercise.

Ive been trying to exercise/play with him as much as I can (also taking into consideration future joint problems, I keep it reasonable.).

Its not really a bother to me but he has done it to a couple of my friends that have come by. I think its freaking hilarious watching them freak out over it, I just dont ant it to become a habit. Thanks for the help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Um...its NOT something that is hilarious. It's a dominance problem that needs to be stopped NOW. None of my boys have ever humped anyone....at any time. Sounds like he's not really respecting you or your friends.

As far as exercise, normal play is fine for puppies....even taking consideration in for "future" joint problems. It's the forced exercise you need to be warey of.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Humping people get stopped immediately. Although none of my dogs have. Humping each other or toys I will generally let them do as long as it's not obcessive if it gets to that point I will stop them and redirect.
    (actually my female initates most of the humping between the dogs)

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

humping is not always a dominance problem.
    some dogs get overly excited or stimulated and humping is just an outlet for that excitement or stress.
    give your dog something else to do to redirect this behavior.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia
    humping is not always a dominance problem.
    some dogs get overly excited or stimulated and humping is just an outlet for that excitement or stress.
    give your dog something else to do to redirect this behavior.

sorry Dani, but Im going to have to agree with this one. I dont think I'll need Cesar Millan to handle my do-mi-nance problem. I think he's getting overly excited that someone new is here and starts. It stops immediately (either by Oscar or by me.). Its not like hes going "get over here, Im going to hump you..."

And I wasnt saying that him humping is funny. Watching my friends freak out over my pup is funny. Sorry for the confusion

well jeese then will if you are an expert with your lab mix...why are you even asking?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    well jeese then will if you are an expert with your lab mix...why are you even asking?
    well Jeez Dani, if you would use proper punctuation I wouldn't have to respond. I now feel the need...

IF it was a dominance issue I would see it more often, and not just when a new face shows up and he gets excited. I appreciated your concern and input, but I didn't feel it was pertinent to my situation. Thanks for acting like a B when I voiced what I thought. I REALLY appreciate that.

go shit someone elses thread and gtfo out of mine. I dont need negative remarks like that around here.

Sit and spin Will. You and your "lab" mix. :

Your friend is right...you act like a know it all and you've had your dog all of 2 minutes. Perhaps you need to stop and think about how you type things and think about how they will be interpreted...including the laughing thing...and if you want to talk about punctuation, let's talk about your shoddy spelling abilities. I don't know why I am surprised when people get mad when they get responses to questions they asked.

Good grief.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast